Khan Academy is looking for an experienced user researcher to lead our research efforts to build an understanding of the needs, behaviors, and attitudes of teachers, coaches, and learners across the globe. Join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere!
User research sits within the design team, working closely with product managers, designers, engineers, marketing managers, data analysts, and senior leadership. You’ll be expected to collaborate across the organization and cultivate deeper symbiosis with user research, design, and product development.
You’ll be working with a team that includes industry leaders from companies such as Apple, Google, Facebook, tiny startups, games, and education, including people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. We’re deeply invested in your future: we have high expectations of you, and consider deeply how to support you to achieve them.
As a great candidate, you will have a portfolio with a string of successful projects that drove decision making. Your friends and coworkers think of you as the go-to person for at least two of these:
- Planning, conducting, and sharing well designed and efficient research in a fast moving environment
- Establishing, growing, and managing user experience methodologies in an organization, integrating user research into the design and product development process
- An expert in effectively communicating research insights in ways that make them easily accessible and actionable by various stakeholders
- Evangelizing and educating the benefits of research driven design across an entire organization
- A highly collaborative and insightful leader. Helping teams partner cross-functionally to build the very best product/user experiences and help remove roadblocks where necessary
- A leader who is able to make decisions at the right level, and make the right calls consistently
- A research portfolio that demonstrates using a variety of research methods to drive decision making in an organization, such as:
- Ethnographic field studies to create personas for use in design and product development
- Diary studies to help an organization understand and prioritise key areas of a customer journey
- Usability testing to inform how to iterate on potential user interface behaviors
- Surveys to add quantitative context to potential product directions
- A/B or multivariate tests to drive website or mobile app design decisions
- A deep curiosity about:
- How and why people learn
- Teaching, coaching, and mentorship
- Industry experience. Specifically, time spent running user research studies outside of academia
- High comfort level in working within a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity
- Availability to work full time from our office in Mountain View, CA
We offer the following benefits
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed
- A fun, high-caliber team that believes in the importance of having a great day-to-day experience
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- Walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View, flexibility to work from other locations
- The opportunity to work on software and programs that are already impacting the future of learning
- The ability to improve real lives and put your talents toward a deeply meaningful mission
- The possibility of helping empower more problem solvers to improve the world
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
How to apply
- Attach your resume below
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires a team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic, or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.