Khan Academy is a nonprofit education technology organization with a mission of providing a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. We reach more than 10 million learners, teachers, and parents around the world each month. We know that by partnering with others, we can achieve much more than we can on our own, but we need to be strategic about which partnerships we pursue.
As VP, Strategic Partnerships, you’ll identify, drive, and manage business development opportunities and partnerships that further our mission by growing # of learners, their usage / total learning time, and Khan Academy revenue while keeping Khan Academy products free to learners.
Potential focus areas include:
- School district partnerships - Largely through grassroots efforts, hundreds of thousands of teachers already use Khan Academy with their students. We’re proud of the reach and success we’ve had so far, but we know we could have even greater impact and reach more students, including those underserved and without access to technology at home, if we partnered with schools, districts, state departments of education, etc. to make Khan Academy a core part of the curriculum.
- Test prep - We're already the official prep for the SAT and LSAT through our partnerships with the test makers. We'd like to expand our free, official test prep offering by partnering with other test makers in the US and abroad.
- Diagnostics - We've begun exploring opportunities to use standardized tests administered in school, such as the NWEA MAP Test, as a diagnostic for Khan Academy. By partnering with the test makers, we’d provide teachers with personalized learning plans for their students based on performance on the standardized exams they already administer.
- Learning management systems - We're already partnering with Google Classroom and want to explore additional opportunities to partner with other tools teachers use to manage their classrooms and assign work to students.
- Content distribution deals - There are many consumer and classroom-oriented platforms we could partner with to distribute our content to a new or broader audience.
- ... and many more opportunities you'd develop and prioritize.
- Develop and execute Khan Academy’s overall business development roadmap to create new funnels and grow usage and revenue, ensuring strong alignment to our long-term vision and strategy
- Source and close deals for current priority areas, including school districts, test prep, learning management systems, etc.
- Develop and execute go-to-market strategies for new and existing products, in partnership with product management and other functions
- Collaborate with the product team on product requirements needed to drive strategic partnerships
- Work closely with our VP, Consumer Marketing to amplify awareness and brand
- Work closely with our VP, International to build global pipeline of partners in priority areas
- Build capabilities and partner with analytics and research/insights teams to take a data-driven approach to biz dev / strategic partnerships
- Define and drive revenue models and pricing, where applicable
- Ensure partnerships are executed successfully -- from signing mutually beneficial agreements to growing # of users and usage of Khan Academy products. For example, sign agreements with school districts and ensure Khan Academy is being used regularly and implemented successfully in schools; sign agreements with test makers and work with our product teams to drive usage, etc.
- Build a high-performing team and define the business development / strategic partnerships function at Khan Academy
- Contribute beyond your function as a key member of the marketing/biz dev leadership team and overall Khan Academy leadership team
- Proven track record of 15+ years in strategic partnerships, business development, or sales, ideally in education and/or tech
- Excellent people management skills and a track record of building high-performing, agile teams
- A passion for Khan Academy’s mission of a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere and a desire to use strategic partnerships/biz dev to grow usage and keep KA free
- Strong strategic thinking skills and the ability to bring both structure and creativity to challenging problems
- A test-and-learn mindset and ability to experiment rapidly
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and an ability to inspire, motivate, influence, and build trusting relationships with others
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- An entrepreneurial mindset, including a high tolerance for ambiguity, a penchant for experimentation, and a bias towards action
- To be willing to travel as needed
- To be available to work from our office in Mountain View, CA
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
- Highly competitive salaries
- Ample paid time off as needed – we’re about getting things done, not face time
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact content that's already defining the future of education and improving students’ lives
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.