Khan Academy is looking for experienced user researchers who are passionate about building an understanding of the needs, behaviors, and attitudes of teachers, coaches, and learners across the globe. Join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere!
Our team includes industry leaders from companies such as Apple, Google, Facebook, tiny startups, games, and education, including people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. Together, we’re a small but elite group. We’re deeply invested in your future: we have high expectations of you, and consider deeply how to support you to achieve them.
User research sits within the design team, working closely with product managers, designers, engineers, and data analysts. You’ll be expected to collaborate across the organization and cultivate deeper symbiosis with user research and design. You should have passion and experience building empathy with human-centered stories, relevant data and an understanding of your audience.
As a good candidate, you will have a great portfolio with a string of successful projects in your wake. Your friends and coworkers think of you as the go-to person for at least two of these:
- Collaborates with teams to refine research questions and create research plans to effectively investigate them
- Has experience recruiting specific user types for a variety of study designs
- Has experience with a wide variety of research methods, both qualitative and quantitative
- Has strong project management and interpersonal skills
- Synthesizes complex, interdependent, and sometimes competing needs
- Effectively shares research results and recommendations across executives, engineers, product managers and other disciplines in a way that inspires and drives action
- 7+ years of professional experience, including at least 3-5 years of user research experience
- A deep curiosity about how and why people learn
- High comfort level in working within a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity
- Availability to work full time from our office in Mountain View, CA
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed
- A fun, high-caliber team that believes in the importance of having a great day-to-day experience
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- Walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View, flexibility to work from other locations
- The opportunity to work on software and programs that are already impacting the future of learning
- The ability to improve real lives and put your talents toward a deeply meaningful mission
- The possibility of helping empower more problem solvers to improve the world
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume below
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires a team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic, or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.