About Khan Academy
Help shape the future of education with Khan Academy. We’re a nonprofit education technology organization with a mission of providing a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. Today, over 19 million learners and teachers around the world use Khan Academy each month, but this is just the tip of the iceberg!
Come join our fun, hardworking team that’s passionate about helping learners and teachers around the globe!
About the VP, Product Management Role
We’re looking for an experienced product leader to inspire and guide our team to deliver the most engaging and efficacious K-14 learning solution in the world. In this role, you will report to the President / Chief Operating Officer and partner with cross-functional leaders across the company to deliver on our mission.
- Serve as a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, helping to define the overall vision and direction of the organization that enables Khan Academy to grow and deliver impact to learners and teachers around the world.
- As a member of the Product Leadership Team, you will contribute significantly to overall product and organizational strategy. You will help operationalize, codify, and scale the pedagogical vision of our CEO / Founder, Salman Khan.
- Own the product strategy and vision which lays out our unique path for engaging teachers and learners and driving accelerated learning; working collaboratively across content, design, engineering, learning science and research & efficacy, ensure periodic review and refresh of the vision and strategy based on new insights.
- Lead product planning and roadmapping to achieve desired business outcomes, balancing investment across our suite of offerings (academic & test prep), geographies, and customers (learners, teachers, districts, parents).
- Know our customers and products inside and out. Inspire others to a similar depth of knowledge - and to use customer/product insights to guide product decisions.
- Make data-driven decisions by partnering closely with your counterparts in Design, Engineering, Learning Science and Research & Efficacy to ensure that we’re delivering excellent experiences to our users that drive learning outcomes.
- Recruit, motivate, and grow our world-class product management team to deliver best-in-class offerings and customer support in service to rapid user growth and accelerated learning outcomes. Responsible for coaching, career planning, career path development, and performance management of this critical function.
- Drive cross-functional alignment across a wide range of stakeholders including Content, Engineering, Design, Marketing, Philanthropy, Learning Science, Research & Efficacy, and Analytics. Ensure transparency and alignment across the company on product and support priorities.
You may be a good fit if you have
- 15+ years in product management with experience in (1) leading and motivating world-class product managers and (2) building and scaling global, web and mobile offerings, and (3) in the education and/or consumer spaces.
- Strong strategic thinker with proven success in defining strategic direction for global offerings and support.
- Very strong leadership skills, with proven ability to lead direct and indirect teams and work across functional lines. Able to collaborate, influence, and quickly build trust and respect within the organization and with partners.
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves and help the team get work done as we are a relatively small and nimble organization.
- An innovative and entrepreneurial thinker who has a high tolerance for ambiguity and a strong bias toward action. Leads with confidence and a strong point of view. Willing and able to put hard issues on the table, drive open debate, and problem-solve with the team to achieve results.
- Track record of customer-focused, data-driven decision making that delivers an exceptional customer experience as well business outcomes.
- Exceptional communicator and collaborator who enjoys leading through influence and working across functions and levels to establish and deliver on shared goals.
- A positive mindset that is energized by ambiguity and bringing clarity and structure to new opportunities.
- Located in Mountain View, CA or able to travel there 4+ times a year (post-covid as our office is currently closed).
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.