Khan Academy is a nonprofit on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We are looking for talented software engineers for our remote Summer 2021 internship program. We believe that the best way to provide impactful education is to create a diverse team of people from different backgrounds, races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and experiences. Together, we’re a team that is deeply invested in your future. We believe that no other organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
You can read about our latest work on our Engineering Blog. Recent intern projects include:
- Creating tools for classroom teachers.
- Incorporating mastery mechanics into our mobile native apps.
- Improving real-time monitoring of learning data.
- Developing new APIs, as part of our transition to Go.
You may be a fit if
- You are currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program in computer science or a related field.
- You have an expected graduation date in 2022 or 2023 (rising Junior or Senior).
- You have at least one previous software internship or equivalent experience.
- You have 12 weeks of availability in Summer 2021.
- You are excited about helping Khan Academy bring a free, world-class education to the world.
- You have an eagerness to learn, educate, write code, and build products used by millions of learners and teachers.
- You have strong communication, thoughtfulness, and desire to give and receive regular feedback.
- You have empathy for learners around the world. You love learning and are excited about helping others learn to love learning. You’re motivated to learn new things and share what you learn with the world.
- Software Engineers with experience in any and all technologies. We don't require experience in any particular language or tool. Our commitment to on-boarding and mentorship means you won’t be left in the dark as you learn new technologies.
How to apply
- Attach your resume below.
- Respond to the brief application questions. Including the following prompt in the space provided below: At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires an engineering team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic, or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
- Links to projects (we really like these, but they are not a requirement). We especially like living, breathing projects, demos, or commentaries on your work. Please don’t just send code – show or tell us why you wrote it, what it’s for, what you like about it, how it helps someone, etc. No project is too small if it’s something you care about. If you're feeling especially creative feel free to include a link to a project that you've built on our programming platform.
- If you’d like to provide a more traditional cover letter addressing your interest in KA (in addition to the diversity-based response), please feel free to attach that below.
To learn more about our work
- The intern experience
- Our engineering blog
- Our team
- You Can Learn Anything
- Sal’s TED talk
- What our learners have to say about Khan Academy
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.