About Khan Academy
Khan Academy is a nonprofit on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of high-quality instructional and practice resources that empowers learners and the teachers who support them.
About the Analytics Team
Khan Academy is looking for a data analyst/data science guru to join our Analytics team to support the Marketing and Fundraising function. We’re a small team with big dreams, and we’re only just getting started. Today, more than 18 million learners, teachers, and parents around the world use Khan Academy each month. But we believe this is just the tip of the iceberg in bringing to life our mission to make a free, world-class education available for anyone, anywhere.
In service to that mission, we are building out our marketing capabilities to grow awareness and reach learners all over the world and our fundraising function to raise the resources to advance our mission. Not surprisingly, we need answers to questions such as “what channels should we invest in?”, “how much should we spend, given that our product is free?”, and “what giving behavior might predict an increased gift?” You would be instrumental in partnering closely with the marketing and philanthropy leaders in answering these questions (and so many more), to drive decisions that are key to the overall marketing strategy.
About the Data Analyst/ Data Scientist Role
We’re looking for a team player who gets excited about tough business problems but isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and get deep into the data. This is the perfect role for someone who wants to continue to grow their technical data skills as well as the strategic thinking and communication skills required to drive meaningful impact through data. While we internally call our team members analysts, we find that there is significant overlap with what others in the industry call 'data scientists'. As a result, many of our team members have a background in data science, whether formally or informally.
The role will be working with Khan Academy’s Marketing and Philanthropy teams.
Be a thought partner to impact strategy:
- Partner closely with the marketing leader and others on the marketing team to identify key KPI’s necessary for successful execution and measurement of the marketing strategy (i.e., what does ROI look like for a product that’s free?)
- Partner closely with the philanthropy leader and others on the philanthropy team to understand donor behavior, design KPIs and reporting, build revenue forecasts, and optimize digital fundraising campaigns
- Design hypotheses and experiments, analyzing and reporting results on key campaigns and optimization tests
- Tee up recommendations based on data and insights to senior leader stakeholders
Continually improve our data infrastructure:
- Introduce the instrumentation to be able to measure and monitor marketing KPI’s, for both paid and organic channels, online and offline; develop methodology for cross-channel attribution
- Construct and refine analysis of the learner, teacher, and donor lifecycles from acquisition to usage to retention
- Build and publish access to the tools and data that the marketing and philanthropy teams need, so that every decision they make is backed up with solid data and analysis
Help instill a ‘data driven’/’data informed’ culture:
- Be the voice of data within the organization
- Find creative and insightful ways to publish and promote how we’re performing on key metrics
- Ensure there is strong analytics input into the evaluation and prioritization of new opportunities
- Help set the goals and define the evaluation methodology for each initiative
- A passion for Khan Academy’s vision and a desire to change the world
- 3+ years experience in data science or analytics (or related role), with 2+ years supporting a marketing function
- Experience working with third party marketing vendors and ingesting/triangulating imperfect data from a variety of sources
- Ability to think strategically (interfacing with senior leaders), while also enjoying being hands-on with the data
- Capable of writing efficient code in at least one programming language
- Advanced SQL skills
- Experience across the entire analytics chain: instrumentation, logging, data modeling, ETL, BI tools and dashboards, various analysis and modeling techniques, etc...
- Strong statistical foundations
- A knack for asking the right questions, then answering them with sound data and analysis
- Ability to dive deep into the data weeds, and then synthesize data into strategic business insights
About our benefits
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus lots of snacks and beverages
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We have a preference for this candidate to work from our office in Mountain View, CA; but for the right candidate and fit, we are open to remote arrangements.
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBT+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
How to apply
- Attach your resume to the job posting on our Khan Careers page
- Briefly describe an analysis you did that directly impacted a major decision the marketing team made
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: We believe that reaching all learners requires a team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team’s experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives - whether personal, professional, academic, or in your own classroom - would contribute to the diversity of our team and our ability to understand and address the needs of all learners.
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.