ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a fast-paced, nonprofit startup on a mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of world-class instructional and practice resources that empowers learners. Whether they’re studying matrices, mitosis, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Principal Efficacy & Research Analyst is responsible for executing and guiding rigorous research for Khan Academy India (KAI) – that will show solid evidence that use of our content and products are helping to further academic achievement of learners and teachers. Research will cover core academic subjects for Kindergarten through Grade 12. In ten years, Khan Academy’s vision is to globally enable every K-14 core subject to be either learned in conjunction with teachers and their physical classroom or independently, and the Principal Efficacy & Research Analyst is an integral part of helping to achieve that mission by leading on substantive, verifiable studies providing evidence of the efficacy of our content and products.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL
- Collaborate on the design of efficacy studies, lead research approval with school systems, and analysis plans
- Lead execution of efficacy studies in India by linking multiple datasets and using R to apply analytical models to determine the impact on outcomes
- Collaborate on the development of research instruments (e.g., surveys, observation tools, interview protocols)
- Support on on-site data collection efforts with KAI team
- Lead exploratory analyses that generate insights for product, content, and implementation improvements
- Drive the timeline and processes for writing up and communication of research findings for internal and external audiences
- Serve as a liaison for external research requests from non-partners
You are someone with,
- PhD with 5+ years of professional experience in educational technology (preferred) in primary and/or secondary schools in India, or other educational organisations, including successfully executing on and leading efficacy research
- 3+ years of experience in using R to merge and clean large datasets, analyse, and produce visualisations of data
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams (with the product, content, marketing, philanthropy, and analytics teams) of staff that span wide time zones (Delhi, India to California, USA) to research, prove, iterate, and improve our content and products
- Broad and deep skills in research design, measurement, and analytical aspects of education research and efficacy
- Ability to work with education leaders and teachers - in particular, on how research is produced, consumed and perceived by key decision makers (e.g., school administrators, teachers, policy makers, philanthropists, research groups / consultancies, etc.)
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves and help the team get work done as we are growing
- A passion for education and a desire to change the world
- The ability to work full time from our offices in Delhi, India
- Establish research agreements and design efficacy studies with school research partners in India
- Strategic plan for Khan Academy India Efficacy & Research, which is aligned to the larger Efficacy & Research functional plan
- Actionable internally driven research studies (across product, content, and implementation in India) that allow us to assess our efficacy and improve our Khan Academy India offerings
- Guidance to Khan Academy India’s product, content and analytics teams as they shape A/B tests and other internal research
- Serve as a thought leader through presentations of reports of findings to school research partners, as well as, at industry conferences to increase awareness of Khan Academy India’s efficacy
- Assessments of research performed by outside parties
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team like a for-profit.
- Competitive salaries
- Flexible schedules and required time off to ensure you are well-rested
- Comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, life)
- Delicious catered lunches daily
- Paid parental leave
- Remote-friendly workplace
- Fun team events and board game nights!
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume below.
- In the space provided below, please answer the following: Have you used R before to clean and analyze data? If yes, please describe some of the tasks you were completing and the R tools or packages you typically use.
- In the space provided below, address the following prompt: At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires an engineering team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives- whether personal, professional, academic or otherwise- could contribute to the diversity of our team.
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.