*Please apply to: KhanAcademyCDO@SpencerStuart.com
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) will have the opportunity to help usher Khan Academy into an exciting next chapter of growth and impact. This leader will drive transformative philanthropic investments that will enable continued evolution and growth as the organization achieves its mission to go deeper in instruction with pre-K though college offerings, integrate even further into classrooms and systems of schools, and expand further internationally. Khan Academy is at the leading edge of innovation and scale within the education sector and the Chief Development Officer will be a critical leader for the organization and for the broader community. Based in Mountain View, California, and reporting to the President, the Chief Development Officer will oversee a team that secures the philanthropic revenue which fuels Khan Academy’s operations and ambitions. He/she will be responsible for identifying and managing donor and partner relationships as well as overseeing the structure, processes and systems required to support a comprehensive development program. The CDO will manage a capable team currently raising nearly $45 million a year philanthropically---and lead that team to increase annual philanthropic revenue to $75-$100 million annually within the next five years. While principal and major gifts will be core to current and future efforts, there are exciting opportunities to optimize online and annual giving strategies to take advantage of Khan Academy’s brand and user base. Partnering closely with the Founder/CEO and the President, the CDO will help generate and implement investment concepts and strategies as well as partner closely with the Founder/CEO to leverage his external engagements to raise awareness and build support for the organization. A representative for the organization in public settings, he/she will work closely with the Khan Academy Board of Directors and manage its Development Committee. As a member of the senior leadership team, the Chief Development Officer will play a key role in the long-term strategic direction of the organization.
- Increase philanthropic contributions for Khan Academy priorities and build a robust pipeline of current and prospective donors to carry forward the organization into future chapters.
- Develop the processes, systems and structures necessary to support a comprehensive development operation.
- Partner with, and support, the Founder/CEO to optimize external engagement and relationships.
- Manage the Board Development Committee to pursue meaningful goals tied to organizational needs. Ensure full Board participation and giving.
- Build, develop and oversee a high performing team.
- Develop the processes and mechanisms that will optimize technology and social media to drive awareness, engagement and increased financial support.
- Help amplify the creative thinking and big ideas which fuel the organization’s success.
- Actively engage in the broader philanthropic community and education technology world.
- Lead strategic planning and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising program, including major gift fundraising, online and annual support, and sponsorship. Lead assessment and execution of future campaign initiatives.
- Effectively manage a portfolio of top-level major gift prospects and donors.
- Partner with Sal Khan, members of the Board of Directors, and donors to convene and engage champions and supporters through strategic events, speaking engagements, gatherings, and partnerships. Travel with Sal Khan where appropriate and needed.
- Maintain regular contact with the Khan Academy Board of Directors and oversee the Board Development Committee.
- Develop, manage, and support a high performing team of 7-10 members. Recruit new staff to supplement existing capabilities and capacity.
- Serve on the Senior Leadership Team.
- Participate as part of a larger senior team in the consideration of broader revenue and marketing strategies including partnerships, branding and communication initiatives, and earned revenue strategies / opportunities.
- Work closely and collaboratively with programmatic and technology leaders to develop knowledge and fluency of Khan Academy strategy, products, and programs.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, teamwork, and a commitment to excellence.
- 10+ years of senior leadership management experience leading a cross-functional team A minimum of 5+ years of experience at the executive level in a complex organization working with senior management team across functions.
- Proven ability to raise large scale resources for a growing organization Experience working with senior level stakeholders to secure significant investments (seven and eight figure gifts) aligned with mission and priorities.
- Experience working collaboratively with key stakeholders internally and externally Experience working in close partnership with senior executives, program leaders, board members, and high net worth donors to make connections, build knowledge and identify investment opportunities.
- Mission orientation Passion for Khan Academy’s mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
- Team building and talent developing Experience in building, mentoring and integrating teams to build bench strength and prepare the function for growth and more creative approaches.
- Bachelor’s degree required An advanced degree is preferred.
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES
The Chief Development Officer will deliver sustainable and significant increases in philanthropic support. He/she will incorporate best-in-class development processes and operational management that will track progress and ensure accountability. Focused always on Khan Academy’s overall mission and objectives, this individual will continually set higher goals that are ambitious but realistic for him/herself and the team. Strategic Thinking This role requires a highly strategic thinker with the ability to balance short-term objectives with long-term vision. The CDO will be able to develop and implement a strategic and operational plan that supports the growth and evolution of Khan Academy’s ambitions. He/she will also work closely with programmatic colleagues across the organization to identify giving opportunities that are aligned with Khan Academy’s mission and goals and that would be attractive to potential donors. While focused on the needs of today, the Chief Development Officer will also be thinking and planning. In concert with the Founder/CEO and the President, the CDO will also need to assess trends, take advantage of opportunities, and be bold when needed.Build Relationships and Influence Stakeholders The ideal candidate will be a relationship builder who will demonstrate resourcefulness, creativity, and respectful persistence in forging new relationships with external stakeholders. In addition, the Chief Development Officer will work closely with colleagues and partners across Khan Academy’s network outside of formal reporting relationships. He/she will build relationships through trust, open communication, and shared goals. The ideal candidate will be a collaborator with the presence to inspire.
Build Relationships and Influence Stakeholders
The ideal candidate will be a relationship builder who will demonstrate resourcefulness, creativity, and respectful persistence in forging new relationships with external stakeholders. In addition, the Chief Development Officer will work closely with colleagues and partners across Khan Academy’s network outside of formal reporting relationships. He/she will build relationships through trust, open communication, and shared goals. The ideal candidate will be a collaborator with the presence to inspire.
*Please apply to: KhanAcademyCDO@SpencerStuart.com