Khan Academy is looking for talented data science interns to create the future of learning. We accept interns year-round, and work with undergrads through postdocs. Join us on our mission to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
We’re fun, quirky people at heart who believe that shipping beats perfection. We have built a talented development team with engineers from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Pixar, Fog Creek, and tiny startups, as well as people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. Together, we’re a small but elite team, deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
- Scaleable, distributed analytics tools and systems
- Thoughtful experiments using our open source A/B testing framework to determine what works and what doesn't
- Machine learning models to understand and power learning on Khan Academy
- Data APIs utilized internally to support decisions organization-wide
- We're not religious about using a specific technology. We're religious about using analytics to create an incredible experience for Khan Academy learners
- Cutting edge research from the psychology, education, and cognitive science to to guide our experiements and form our hypotheses
YOU DON'T NEED
Lisp expertise. Actually, we don't require experience in any particular technology, but you should have an impressive collection of cool projects. We’re confident that you’ll be able to learn whatever languages and frameworks we throw at you (or, more likely, you throw at us).
- To know how to code. We're a small team tackling big problems; you'll make the biggest impact if you can code efficiently and contribute to our research infrastructure
- Solid command of basic statistics and a strong quantitative aptitude. Machine learning and advanced stats are not required skills, but they sure as heck don't hurt
- Pragmatism and demonstrated skill at turning data into action
- A passion for data and desire to change the world
- US, Canadian, Australian, or Mexican citizenship, US Residency, or other authorization to work in the US
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries, housing stipends, and all travel covered
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software that's already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- 27 inch Mac monitors
HOW TO APPLY
Along with your resume, please include:
1) Links to any projects (we really like these). We especially like living, breathing projects; please do not send your code
2) A cover letter that includes why you want to join Khan Academy
And if you're feeling especially creative: Optionally include a link to a visualization that you've built on our programming platform (http://cs-blog.khanacademy.org/p/build-visualization-on-our-programming.html).
- KA Data Science blog: http://data.khanacademy.org/
- The intern experience: https://www.khanacademy.org/careers/interns
- Blog posts by a couple past interns: http://www.elizabethylin.com/khan/ and http://www.kasrak.com/writing/khan-internship/
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Sal’s TED talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html
- Lead developer Ben Kamens’ blog: http://bjk5.com
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.