Khan Academy is a nonprofit education technology organization with a mission of providing a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. Over 15 million learners, teachers, and parents around the world use Khan Academy each month.
We are looking for a Business Development Leader who will help us accelerate progress on our mission through strategic partnerships. As the Business Development Leader, you will identify & secure partnerships that will significantly grow our number of learners & deliver revenue for Khan Academy, while still keeping Khan Academy free for teachers and learners.
Come join a team that is passionate about shaping the future of education! Our team includes people from academia and from high tech companies such as Google, Apple, Facebook, Mozilla, Microsoft, Pixar, Intuit, and tiny startups. We’re a growing team of 150+, located primarily in Mountain View, CA with many remote workers around the US and the world.
- Develop & execute on Khan Academy’s global partnership strategy & roadmap with the goals of increasing usage, distribution, and revenue while aligning with our 3-year strategies & priorities
- Evaluate market opportunities (working closely with senior strategy analyst), identify & assess potential partners, define revenue model, structure & negotiate mutually beneficial partnership agreements, close deals, & ensure successful execution of deals
- Identify & build new revenue-generating businesses that are consistent with our mission, values, & 3-year strategies
- Work with product & marketing teams to define product requirements & go-to-market strategies and to understand & secure resources to set up a partnership for success. Partner with finance & legal to ensure successful execution of the contract
- Work with partnership manager and product & marketing teams to execute on partnership terms & achieve success metrics
- Manage relationships with key partners
- Build relationships with key leaders across education, technology, and other sectors
- 10+ years of business development or related experience (e.g., consulting, investment banking, venture capital, private equity)
- Extensive knowledge & experience in market & partner assessment
- Skilled at negotiation, partnership management, & project management
- Outstanding strategic thinking skills & business acumen
- Deep experience in data analysis & modeling
- Demonstrated leadership & creative problem solver with a proven track record of aligning, influencing, & leading cross-functional teams
- A desire to get into the details, roll up your sleeves, & get the work done
- Exceptional written, verbal, & interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively at all levels including with senior executives of partner organizations
- Bias for action & desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborative & team-oriented working style
- Success in leading & developing high performing teams
- Passion for education & a desire to make a difference
- Experience in tech required. Experience in education strongly preferred. MBA a plus
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life.
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.