Khan Academy is looking for a data and reporting wizard to join our Analytics team. You would be Khan Academy’s first hire in a Business Intelligence role, and would have the opportunity to define and build out the function. We’re a small team with big dreams, and we’re only just getting started. We have some of the richest educational data in the world, and we want to leverage that data to develop a clearer picture of who our users are, how they are using the site, and how we could better serve them on their educational journey. We’re looking for a rockstar who is excited about bringing data to the fingertips of the whole company.
Systematically build out our data platform:
- Design scalable data models, and build out an ever-improving suite of core pipelines and data tables to support reporting and analysis
- Collaborate with engineers on the Infrastructure team to improve our data technology stack
- Partner with other members of the analytics team and broader product team to design and standardize business rules and metric definitions
- Implement robust monitoring and QA processes to ensure we continue to improve the quality and reliability of our data
Empower every team with data:
- Identify, pilot and deploy whichever tools are best suited to increase access to and usage of data across Khan Academy, so that every decision we make is backed up with solid data and analysis
- In addition to supporting members of the analytics team, work with the product, content and marketing teams (and others) to bring data to their fingertips
Be a key architect for the data and reporting we share with partners
- Act as the ‘product manager of data’ for the information we share with school districts, funders or researchers - you will work with internal and external stakeholders to identify needs, and collaborate with the product and partnerships teams to design and build data products that meet those needs
- Ensure the highest standards of data accuracy, reliability and security
Help instill a ‘data driven’/’data informed’ culture:
- Train team members on data skills and tooling
- Find creative and insightful ways to report and promote how we’re performing on key metrics
- A passion for Khan Academy’s vision and a desire to change the world
- 6+ years experience in a data-related field, including data engineering, data warehousing, business intelligence, data visualization, and/or data science, ideally in a consumer facing internet business or education setting
- Proficiency in computer science and software engineering fundamentals, including at least one scripting language (e.g. Python)
- Advanced SQL skills
- Experience across the entire data lifecycle: instrumentation, logging, data modeling, ETL, Business Intelligence and visualization tools, etc.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, visual)
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.