The Chief Financial Officer is broadly responsible for all things related to finance and legal at Khan Academy. (S)he is integral to enabling financial sustainability so all the employees can deliver their best work toward attaining Khan Academy’s mission. You will have a small team of finance and legal professionals, report into the President / COO, be contributing at both hands-on and strategic levels, and be partnering with the cross-functional leadership team to design and execute the strategy for how we grow the business and the revenue -- both philanthropic and earned – to ensure financial sustainability.
Khan Academy’s mission is to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere, and you will be instrumental in helping to create a high performing organization and a great place to work to deliver on that mission. We are fun, diverse, quirky people who come from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes people from academia and from high tech companies such as Google, Apple, Facebook, Mozilla, Microsoft, Pixar, Intuit, and tiny startups. We’re a growing team of 150+, located primarily in Mountain View, CA with many remote workers around the US and the world.
Khan Academy is looking for a Chief Financial Officer who serves as both a strategic partner and hands on, cross functional leader to help increase our impact by helping to grow the business and diversify our revenue streams. As an integral part of the senior leadership team, you will also be responsible for delivering on the financial plan - both top and bottom line - as well as ensuring compliance, process and system improvements. As Chief Financial Officer, you will:
- Serve as a key member of the Senior Leadership Team and overall finance business partner, helping to define the overall vision and direction of the organization
- Partner with the Senior Leadership Team to drive overall 3 year / 1 year strategic planning, to strategize and structure funder agreements, and to identify and deploy impactful revenue strategies and policies that enable Khan Academy to perform effectively and scale efficiently
- Serve as key liaison to Khan Academy’s board of directors eg, driving and managing quarterly board meetings, driving items for board approval, execution of board minutes, etc.
- Oversee entire global finance, planning & analysis (FP&A), Accounting, Compliance / Audit, Tax & Treasury, and General Counsel / Legal issues
- Provide expertise in the following areas: revenue & expense management, financial planning & analysis, business analytics, balance sheet mgmt, audit / compliance, adherence to legal & customer privacy issues, and overall financial business partnering to the various functions at Khan Academy
- Work closely with Chief People Officer to manage site services, real estate, overall office management, IT infrastructure and fostering an inclusive work environment to help make Khan Academy a great place to work
- 15+ years of professional experience, with some experience in education, technology, and/or the non-profit sectors
- Experience successfully managing, leading or building a Finance Organization (Controller / Acctg, FP&A, Tax & Treasury, Investor / Donor Relations, etc). Experience managing General Counsel a plus.
- Global expansion and financial management / controls experience highly desirable
- An understanding of the unique non-profit challenges related to operational management in the Bay Area and the ability respond to them effectively
- A clear and systematic approach to ensuring prioritization and alignment between donor-related and/or earned revenue agreements and Khan’s strategy / product roadmaps.
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves and help the team get work done as we are a young company and growing quickly
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume below
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.