Juul Labs’ mission is to impact the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by eliminating combustible cigarettes. We have the opportunity to address one of the world’s most intractable challenges through a commitment to exceptional quality, research, design, and innovation. Backed by leading technology investors, we are committed to the same excellence when it comes to hiring great talent.
We are a diverse team that is united by this common purpose and we are hiring the world’s best engineers, scientists, designers, product managers, operations experts, and customer service and business professionals. If the opportunity to build your career at one of the fastest growing companies is compelling, read on for more details.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for designing precision assembly and measurement processes for Juul products. Perform the research and development on new technologies necessary to tackle complex assembly and automation problems that have direct impact to the quality and delivery of Juul products. Design, implement and successfully scale automated and semi- automated solutions based upon sound engineering principles and the technologies developed for a specific application.
- Develop new and or improved processes through the application of theoretical and practical engineering
- Keeps in touch of all meaningful technical trends and developments and incorporates them in appropriate assignments
- Provide direction and mentorship to third party machine/automation suppliers and/or CM’s; be the technical leader and driver on owned projects; serve as a technical resource to other engineering groups and project leaders
- Organize cross-functional reviews of the machine requirements, design, qualification and capability
- Create Request for Quotation/Proposal (RFQ/RFPs) that documents the design requirements of the automated equipment, delivery schedule, required documentation and qualification for acceptance at machine supplier facility and contract manufacturer’s factory
- Engage machine suppliers for automated equipment design reviews and proposals
- Travel to the machine supplier and contract manufacturer for equipment bring-up, qualification, acceptance testing and support during build events
- Drive machine qualification including correlation, process capability (CP/CPK) and Gage Repeatability / Reproducibility (GR&R)
- Drive failure analysis and machine issue resolution when working with machine suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Responsible for data analysis reports to communicate machine capability to the cross functional teams
- Be able to adapt and perform in the following roles:
- Design for Manufacturability - Engage with product design teams to ensure new products are mechanically manufacturable.
- Product Engineering - Works all phases of a product from concept to repeat manufacturing to end of life. Provides production support engineering with respect to technically complex testing methods, procedures and failure analysis.
- Process Engineering - Designs and develops technically complex processes to improve quality and efficiency. Utilize statistical tools (such as GR&R, SPC and Cp/pCk) to ensure processes/fixtures are scalable and are continuing to perform properly once qualified.
- Failure/Data Analysis - Plans, develops and implements technically complex procedures for the testing and evaluation of soon to be released products.
- Candidate must be of high character and energy with focused attention to detail.
- “Self-starter” attitude and comfort in a hands-on environment, where you can demonstrate an ability to work with other engineers, technicians and contract manufacturers
- Work with our team and external vendor partners to deliver robust automation systems for GMP production following best practices according to ISPE GAMP guidelines, including development of automation hardware to interface with production equipment
- Strong work experience in precision assembly (10 Micron Scale) and test automation equipment.
- Drive continuous improvement projects in the equipment space to increase manufacturing yields, diagnostic capability, productivity and error proofing.
- Design and develop new fixtures from specification to implementation
- Thoroughly document all aspects of the equipment, including its requirements, design, operation, and qualification in compliance with Good Manufacturing Processes (GMP).
- Perform design review of Manufacturing equipment and tooling related to new product launches.
- Develop reports to statistically analyze measurements and optimize pass/fail criteria with Deep understanding of data analytics and statistical methods
- Determine the root cause of equipment and system test failures.
- Execute equipment design and process verification/validation activities to qualify changes to test processes or test specifications.
- Excellent documentation skills and ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing across all levels of the organization.
- Support designing and building a complete automation system to support our new products launch
- Support system qualification and ongoing system upgrades at contract manufacturing sites
- Troubleshooting mindset - an ability to systematically and effectively break down a system or process into subparts to identify failures and troubleshoot to component level.
- Produce machine qualification requirements, design of experiments and failure analysis.
- Deep understanding of machine design/qualification including calibration, correlation, capability, repeatability and reproducibility
- Up to, but not limited to 25% domestic and international travel
- The successful candidate understands tool and system design and is capable of building equipment from R&D to manufacturing.
- Deep expertise with system design and integration.
- Technical expertise in designing automation for handling high precision processes.
- Strong problem-solving skills in mechanics, materials and thermal stress.
- Experience in both development and manufacturing environments.
- Advanced knowledge with SoildWorks and AutoCAD.
- Engineering knowledge of mechanical engineering sciences (mechanics, machine design, dynamics and manufacturing processes) with the ability to apply these principles to solve customer challenges.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail for creation of manufacturing drawings.
- New product introduction and Manufacturing Operations experience desired
- Working knowledge of GD&T principles favorable
- Knowledge of optics principles as they relate to CCD cameras, 2D and 1D lasers used in assembly automation
- Basic understanding of liquid adhesives, plastics welding, pressing operations, dispensing, Pick and Place (PnP) is desired
- Working knowledge of sensors, robotics, pneumatics, servo motors, motion controllers, PLC and and PC-based control systems
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics Engineering or equivalent)
- 7+ years of industry experience in integration, design of assembly equipment and automation
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them.
- Work with talented, committed, and diverse teammates in an inclusive environment.
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success.
- Monthly Work from Home Stipend.
- Cell phone subsidy, extensive self-care/wellness benefits, and discounts on Juul products.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits.