JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We seek a dynamic, highly skilled, and passionate Senior Electrical Engineer to bring new products and major product improvements to market. This important, highly technical position reports to the Director of Electrical Engineering in the Engineering organization at JUUL Labs.
This is a hands-on role that will be responsible for designing new products that are innovative, cost efficient, reliable, and ship on schedule. This role will drive the validation of concepts via early analysis, prototyping and testing, and work with cross-functional teams to ensure that product requirements are managed to achieve optimal experiences for our customers. In addition, the Senior Electrical Engineer will work closely with internal and external partners to technically define electro-mechanical designs and ensure that all product and project requirements are met. You will troubleshoot and make improvements to existing products, and work closely with other members of the engineering staff to create optimal solutions to difficult electrical, software, thermal, and battery life issues. You will be comfortable sketching and prototyping new ideas and be familiar with engineering best practices, concepts and procedures. We are looking for someone who is flexible and can respond quickly, energetically, and enthusiastically to changes. The person in this role should be a strong communicator who is able to lead effectively and work effectively with peers and management alike in a high-paced global environment.
- Meet regularly with Director of EE to review project performance, identify any issues and set expectations of goals.
- Manage and maintain schedules, project plans, and cost estimates for implementing new product introductions and significant product enhancements.
- Mentor less experienced staff on technical issues and handling projects and responsibilities; considered a strong leader and role model for the engineering department.
- Ensure engineers follow appropriate documentation guidelines and hold design reviews in accordance with product development procedures.
- Lead team in developing, validating, and documenting product and process requirements.
- Work with Director of EE in the prioritization and assessment of future projects and department goals.
- Demonstrate a high level of cross-functional organization, communication, and management
- Travel to support manufacturing builds
- Support New Product Introduction.
- Support Sustaining Engineering.
- Design, build, and verify PCBAs.
- Oversee schematics, BOMs, and PCB layouts for new and existing products.
- Oversee test specifications and procedures for electrical and electromechanical assemblies.
- Oversee test fixture repair support for manufacturing, QA, and contract manufacturers during NPI..
- Support troubleshooting for product failures on PCBs, power supplies, and electromechanical assemblies during initial ramp.
- In the approval path for new product releases and corrective actions (NCR, CAPA) and DCNs (ECOs).
- Oversee embedded or PC-level software to control PCB test fixtures.
- Create/execute verification and validation protocols for test fixtures, procedures, and software.
- Follow JUUL Labs’ design control and documentation procedures (PLM experience helpful.)
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong project management skills required. Capable of overseeing multiple cross-functional teams in all project activities for multiple concurrent projects necessary for the successful commercial launch of new products.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant Electrical Engineering experience in one or more of the following areas: product design, new product release, test engineering, manufacturing support.
- Previous experience with medical devices or other regulated products is desirable.
- Strong analog, digital, and power circuit design, test, and debugging capabilities.
- Schematic and PCB layout expertise, preferably with Altium Designer
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- SMD and through-hole soldering.
- Strong knowledge of embedded microcontrollers and low power devices.
- Strong knowledge of wired/wireless communications (I2C, SPI, USB, Bluetooth).
- Electromechanical design, assembly, and troubleshooting.
- Expertise in one (or more of) the areas of: Rigid and flex PCB design, troubleshooting and solving EMI, ESD, and signal & power integrity issues, international regulatory certifications (such as UL, CE, JIS, and KC), communication protocols (USB, SPI, I2C, UART, Bluetooth low energy
- Software Experience - C is a must; Python is a plus
- Other requirements or beneficial knowledge:
- BLE (beneficial)
- Real-time Operating System (RTOS) (beneficial)
- Understanding of serial communication protocols I2C, SPI, UART (required)
- Working with EE to bring up a PCB (required)
- Experience with sensors or other ICs communicating over SPI and/or I2C
- Self-motivated, team player, with a strong desire to learn new skills and grow.
- Ability to multi-task or focus on detailed problems, and tenacity to drive issues until resolved
- BS in Electrical or Computer Engineering, or related field. Associate’s degree with significant experience will be considered. Master’s degree is a plus.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities