Director, Electrical Engineering
JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s 1.3 billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one U.S.-based e-cigarette, selling over 20 million JUUL pods per month and growing fast. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best engineers, scientists, designers, product and program managers, supply chain and operations experts, customer service and business professionals.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Hardware, the Director of Electrical Engineering will be leading and growing a talented group of electrical engineers to bring new products and major product improvements to market. This means:
- Developing and growing an excellent hardware design team with a passion for shipping terrific products to customers.
- Finding and hiring incredible people who you’ll be excited to work with.
- Helping our engineers improve performance, deliver new features, and reduce cost - by management, mentorship, and by contributing yourself.
- Working with the broader team to develop the requirements and specifications that will drive our products forward
In this consumer-centric product company, the Director has an opportunity to have a high level impact on its success and direction. This position requires both a visionary and manger: someone the technical team can rally around with confidence in their capabilities, accountability, support and communication. Ideal candidates will have led the electronics design for several products from concept to mass production at high volume, owning the design while leveraging vendors and contract manufacturers. Significant management experience is also ideal, and desire to manage and to improve on that skill is critical.
- Manage, direct and support the Electrical Engineering team. Hire, train, develop, teach, coach, mentor, motivate, discipline, and reward staff members.
- Meet regularly with direct reports to review performance, identify any issues and set expectations and goals.
- Researches, evaluates, and recommends investments in equipment and systems to improve process efficiencies and product quality.
- Determines resource needs, develops plans, tracks progress to those plans, resolves conflicts and delivers scheduled milestones to projects.
- Collaborates with Research & Development and Operations to develop schedules, project plans, and cost estimates for implementing new product introductions and significant product enhancements.
- Reviews and evaluates product quality, cost effectiveness and manufacturing performance to standards and takes action as necessary to correct variances.
- Mentors less experienced staff on technical issues and handling projects and responsibilities; considered a strong leader and role model for the engineering department.
- Ensures engineers follow appropriate documentation guidelines and hold design reviews in accordance with product development procedures.
- Leads team in developing, validating, and documenting product and process requirements.
- Work with senior management in the prioritization and assessment of future projects and company and department goals.
- Strong project management skills required. Capable of overseeing multiple cross-functional teams in all project activities for multiple concurrent projects necessary for the successful commercial launch of new products.
- Comfortable driving multiple initiatives at a rapid pace, making thoughtful recommendations with available data.
- Active, high-energy communicator who drives a company vision/mission to align teams, critical resources, management, and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated track record of developing and launching successful, innovative products; has a thorough understanding of a variety of manufacturing processes and how they affect design decisions.
- Can drive development of innovative processes in CAD and other tools to streamline design and production processes.
- Expertise in one (or more) of the areas of: Rigid and flex PCB design, analog circuit design, power supply design for battery powered products, troubleshooting and solving EMI, ESD, and signal & power integrity issues, communication protocols (USB, SPI, I2C, UART, Bluetooth low energy), regulatory testing and certification (such as FCC, UL, CE, etc), Reliability and FMEA, factory test automation
- BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent is required
- 5+ year of experience managing engineering teams and successfully bringing high volume, consumer oriented, electro-mechanical products to mass production.
- 8+ years successfully bringing high volume consumer oriented electro-mechanical products to mass production.
- Some domestic and international travel required.
Successful Candidate Traits
Self-aware, confident, strategic manager and communicator with a keen eye for design and a style that fosters innovation, collaboration, excellence and accountability, resulting in streamlined development and optimization of the best possible products that are loved by consumers.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities