Sr. Cloud Developer, Data Services
Position Location: Flexible (Boston, DC, Oakland, or Remote)
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For over 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. Learn more about JFF and join us as we build a future that works.
About the position:
Fifteen million people turn to the workforce system each year for advice and information to help them navigate the complexities of life, learning, and work. The workforce system is poised to transform to create greater impact through the use of data and deeper insights into emerging education opportunities, learning outcomes, and labor market shifts.
Accomplishing this will require substantial improvements in data infrastructure and capacity: decision-makers will need timely access to data and outcomes metrics and the capacity to interpret and use them.
The Sr. Cloud Data Engineer will contribute to the design, implementation and maintenance of the cloud infrastructure and applications built on the cloud in service of this mission. This role, positioned in the Data Services team, will be responsible for streamlining and automating the end-to-end data pipeline in the cloud to support data driven impact measurement, decision making, and public good.
This role will report to the Director, Data Services and assist the director in designing an org-wide data strategy anchored in the cloud, and work alongside the Data Services team and other teams across JFF. The location for this role is remote/flexible.
What you'll do:
- Rapidly architect, design, prototype, implement, and optimize cloud data architectures, and applications to tackle data acquisition, ingestion, management, and computation needs.
- Develop applications using infrastructure as code methodologies to solve workforce/education related needs ensuring quality and compliance following best practices in the industry.
- Build large-scale batch and real-time data pipelines with data processing frameworks in AWS, Azure or GCP cloud platform.
- Join client/partner calls periodically to assist in moving key strategic technical projects forward.
- Develop data pipelines / APIs using Python, SQL, potentially Spark and AWS, Azure or GCP Methods.
- Design and code modern solutions to tough data challenges leveraging the cloud.
- Develop systems to automate cloud operations and application support tasks.
- Contribute to the org-wide cloud data strategy, standards, and best practices.
- Design and develop cutting-edge enterprise data solutions in a fast-paced environment.
Who you are:
- You have at least 5 years of experience building applications in the cloud, and managing cloud data architecture, and data pipelines on AWS or similar cloud platforms.
- You have experience managing data projects hosted on AWS, particularly involving the orchestration and processing of large numbers of small- to medium-sized data sets from multiple sources.
- You possess knowledge in data storage technologies such as SQL, NoSQL, and cloud-based data solutions such as AWS Redshift or similar.
- You bring familiarity with ETL/ELT and orchestration tools such as AWS Glue, Apache Airflow, Fivetran, and Stitch.
- You are comfortable interfacing with internal and external clients/partners and vendors.
- You know how to conduct scripting and data processing in Python using the Boto and Panda’s libraries.
- You have experience managing data storage (S3, Glacier) and AWS Transfer.
- You have managed and utilized Redshift and RDS databases.
- You are open to travel on occasion to client sites or team meetings (<20% of time).
- You have a baseline familiarity with IAM, logging, security monitoring, and billing on the AWS platform (preferred).
- You have some experience in the deployment and monitoring of EC2 (including spot instances) and Lambda functions (preferred).
- You possess high energy and passion for JFF’s mission; ability to apply JFF’s core values to all areas of your work.
- You model inclusive leadership, working effectively with diverse staff, and building and stewarding an organizational culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- You build positive, effective, collaborative cultures and teams wherever you work.
- You are a curious and adaptive learner, with a willingness to take in new information, perspectives and data to inform your work.
- You demonstrate a growth mindset and a desire to continuously improve in your work and approach.
- You are able and willing to travel up to 20% of time (The frequency will vary according to mix of projects. Note: JFF staff travel is currently limited given the evolving context around the COVID-19 pandemic).
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
As part of your application, please upload your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Eshwar Eswaran, Director, Data Services, JFFLabs, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
JFF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills.