We're looking for a Combat Lead to join the team! This individual will help with the decision-making, work quality, and constructive collaboration of a design team. They'll also help direct teams to shape compelling combat experiences by establishing a vision, setting goals, and evaluating progress for projects, processes, and policies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Works to make high level direction from the Creative Director and Game Director a reality, and work with the other project leads to meet these goals.
- Works with Game Director and/or Design Director to establish concrete plan/s to accomplish the design goals of a major project feature.
- Communicates design goals for project to team members and ensure they are understood.
- Works with the Director, Design Management and/or Design Director to establish design processes; carry out implementation of those processes across design team.
- Works with project management to schedule design planning and implementation.
- Performs reviews of various elements of the product and provides feedback to team.
- Familiarizes themselves with the editor in order to create prototypes and do finite tweaking.
- Works closely with all departments to investigate solutions that best fit with title’s goals, and ultimate goals of the game.
- Ensures all design and implementation deliverables are up to studio’s high standards of quality.
- Checks development progress against milestone deliverables and, if necessary, correct course.
- Identifies design gaps and work with design team to find solutions.
- Ensures that all complaints and concerns related to inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the workplace, are address immediately to foster a safe work environment.
- Facilitate craft growth and mentorship of other designers.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Specialization: This role is specifically for a Combat Lead, who has experience developing and working with other disciplines on core combat systems, ranging from the player combat experience to enemy AI. Understanding how the core combat evolves over the course of the game to keep the player engaged, and how new challenges to that core experience are essential for continued engagement is a must.
Education and/or Experience: Eight plus years of professional game design experience in a combat-centric design role.
Technical Skills: Advanced knowledge and experience with level editing tools and scripting (Unreal Engine, Unity, or similar editors). Intermediate knowledge of Maya or other major 3D modeling programs. Adobe Illustrator experience and Photoshop skills are a plus. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Individual must have very good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with team members and other developers.
- Awareness of emerging trends that inform modern game design. Ability to analyze these mechanics and apply them to current game designs when appropriate
- Expert knowledge of how games work and what makes them fun.
- Strong experience developing combat mechanics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work within a team environment.
- Ability to work with remote teams across different time zones.
Please submit your resume, portfolio/website, and cover letter to be considered. We look forward to reviewing your submission!