At Inceptive, we don't have titles. Instead of topic experts working in silos, we are building an antedisciplinary team where everyone is gaining deep knowledge outside of their traditional area of expertise. For this reason, we call ourselves Beginners.
At Inceptive, you will drive development forward that could help billions of people. To accomplish this, you will be part of a collaborative, antedisciplinary team building our biological software.
The Inceptive Apprenticeship is a 1-year full-time research training program for early-career individuals who are motivated to learn, excited to break down traditional disciplinary boundaries, and passionate about exploring the frontiers of AI and biology.
Training is not limited to one discipline or another, and Apprentices are actively encouraged to collaborate and learn broadly. We are building the foundation for people who are experts in what we do — the antedisciplinary Inceptive Beginner’s mindset.
The 2024–2025 Apprenticeship program will be the second year that Inceptive is hosting the program, and will build off the successes and feedback from the 2023–2024 cohort of Apprentices.
Interested? Applications will close on January 28 and interviews will begin in early February. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
What the program looks like:
- 1-year full-time research experience with one-on-one mentorship and hands-on wet lab and computational training, starting in August 2024.
- 1-month intensive bootcamp spanning topics across development; 5 months working with a mentor as an individual contributor in a project; 6 months working as a cohort on an Apprenticeship project, driving all areas from project initiation to execution.
- Opportunity to hone research skills and kick start your career while working on problems that can make a direct impact on RNA therapeutics and human health.
- Career development opportunities including journal clubs, conferences, fireside chats, quarterly international company retreats, and networking opportunities with industry professionals (including founders, scientists, engineers, operations experts, entrepreneurs).
Your mission, should you choose to accept it
- Embody our vision of an antedisciplinary environment and embrace learning about areas outside of your traditional area of expertise
- Collaborate with team members from diverse backgrounds to design, plan, and execute innovative and scalable experiments to solve complex problems that span biology and machine learning
- Explore RNA biology and therapeutics with high-throughput assays, next-generation sequencing, lab automation, in vitro functional assays, and mammalian cell culture
- Explore analyzing and modeling biological data with deep learning and generative models
- Learn and develop expertise in a variety of machine learning, laboratory instrumentation, computational biology, bioinformatics, and high-throughput biology techniques
- Analyze and communicate data to colleagues across all roles and levels
- Learn from members of a humble, dynamic, and highly communicative team
If you don't recognize yourself here, see our other posting for those with a background in Machine Learning or similar.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biophysics, Genetics, Microbiology, Engineering, Computer Science, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics) by summer 2024
- Familiarity with basic molecular biology, cell biology, and/or biochemistry laboratory techniques, with a strong eagerness to connect and apply your skills in other areas
- Eagerness to find creative solutions to complex problems and take end-to-end responsibility of its execution
- Ability to communicate technical and scientific concepts to team members from a broad variety of backgrounds
- Be available to accommodate working with team members across different time zones (mainly in CET and PT). This may include being available for some meetings in the early evening if based in CET, or meetings in the early morning if based in PT
- Readiness to travel several times a year for company retreats and business events
- Candidates with traditionally underrepresented backgrounds and experiences are highly encouraged to apply
$95K – $105K
What we offer
- A competitive compensation package
- 30 days paid vacation per year
- Comprehensive health insurance and 401K with company match (US) or comparable benefits if based in other countries
- Quarterly company-wide retreats
- Budget for multiple visits per year to our offices in Berlin and/or in Palo Alto
- Learning & Development budget to attend conferences, take courses, or otherwise invest in your professional growth, as well as access to the Learning & Development platform EdX
- A buddy to help you get settled
At Inceptive, we are creating tools to develop increasingly powerful biological software for the rational design of novel, broadly accessible medicines and biotechnologies previously out of reach. Our team brings together vast expertise in molecular biology, machine learning, and software engineering, and we are all working towards becoming antedisciplinary, meaning we deepen the knowledge we have in our area of expertise while also expanding our knowledge of completely new fields.
We approach our goals with a beginner's mind, humbly and with fresh eyes, and aim to become the pioneers of a new discipline rooted in biology as much as in deep learning, whose impact will be realized together with out-of-the-box thinkers in business and entrepreneurship, defying established categorizations. We are building a company culture centered around growth, learning, and discovery. We believe in humility and open-mindedness in how we approach each other, as well as problems we don't yet have solutions for.
It is the policy of Inceptive to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, national origin, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Inceptive prohibits any such discrimination or harassment.
Inceptive is also committed to welcoming and providing accommodations to people with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need any accommodations throughout your application process.