At Inceptive, we don't have titles. Instead of topic experts working in silos, we are building an antedisciplinary team where everyone is gaining deep knowledge outside of their traditional area of expertise. For this reason, we call ourselves Beginners.
At Inceptive, you will drive development forward that could help billions of people. To accomplish this, you will be part of a collaborative, antedisciplinary team building our biological software.
More RNA sequences are coding for a single target protein than atoms in the universe. Each of these RNA sequences differs in ways that may radically affect how it performs when used in medicine. Faced with this search space, we believe that machine learning-based approaches are ideally placed to tackle the RNA design problem that we work on at Inceptive.
You will be responsible for creating essential infrastructure and tooling, encompassing model training, data transformations, inference, monitoring, profiling, and debugging. Your primary focus will be on enabling the swift development and deployment of generative models tailored for RNA design, ensuring our GPUs remain efficiently utilized for processing ever-expanding datasets. In addition, you will play a pivotal role in seamlessly closing the loop between models and biological assays in our wet-lab, implementing robust tooling and integration solutions.
Your Mission, should you choose to accept it
- Be part of a team that develops and scales a foundation model applied to RNA, DNA, and proteins on public and in-house data
- Design and build the infrastructure and tooling required to support large-scale training, rapid prototyping, and deployment of machine learning models and related systems
- Embody our vision of an antedisciplinary environment and embrace learning about areas outside of your traditional area of expertise
- Collaborate with team members from diverse backgrounds to build innovative and scalable experiments to solve complex problems that span biology and computation
- Demonstrated experience designing and building scalable machine learning systems and tooling to enable a short path from rapid prototyping to reliable deployment
- Proficiency in software design, including the ability to identify appropriate abstractions and strike a balance between extensibility and development complexity
- Experience scaling infrastructure at hyper-growth startup or fast-growing team
- Extensive experience deploying and maintaining automation (e.g., CI, cron, …), dev environment (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes, GCP), and databases (e.g., Postgres, BigQuery, …) for a team of contributors
- Problem-solver who is equally excited by finding creative solutions to complex problems, as you are by executing on them
- Ability to communicate technical and scientific concepts to team members from a broad variety of backgrounds
- Ability to understand the big picture, while driving projects on the ground from beginning to end
- Deep knowledge in your traditional area of expertise with a strong eagerness to connect to and apply your skills in other areas
- Availability to accommodate working with team members across different time zones, with one or two meetings per week starting at 8am PT or finishing at 7pm CET
- Readiness to travel several times a year for company retreats and business events
- We value the benefits of in-person collaboration and prefer candidates who can easily and regularly connect at one of our office locations
$105K – $240K + Bonus + Equity
What we offer
- A competitive compensation package
- 30 days paid vacation per year
- Comprehensive health insurance and 401K with company match (US) or comparable benefits if based in other countries
- Quarterly company-wide retreats
- Budget for multiple visits per year to our offices in Berlin and/or in Palo Alto
- Learning & Development budget to attend conferences, take courses, or otherwise invest in your professional growth, as well as access to the Learning & Development platform EdX
- A buddy to help you get settled
At Inceptive, we are creating tools to develop increasingly powerful biological software for the rational design of novel, broadly accessible medicines and biotechnologies previously out of reach. Our team brings together vast expertise in molecular biology, machine learning, and software engineering, and we are all working towards becoming antedisciplinary, meaning we deepen the knowledge we have in our area of expertise while also expanding our knowledge of completely new fields.
We approach our goals with a beginner's mind, humbly and with fresh eyes, and aim to become the pioneers of a new discipline rooted in biology as much as in deep learning, whose impact will be realized together with out-of-the-box thinkers in business and entrepreneurship, defying established categorizations. We are building a company culture centered around growth, learning, and discovery. We believe in humility and open-mindedness in how we approach each other, as well as problems we don't yet have solutions for.
It is the policy of Inceptive to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, national origin, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Inceptive prohibits any such discrimination or harassment.
Inceptive is also committed to welcoming and providing accommodations to people with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need any accommodations throughout your application process.