HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2017 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. In 2020, we closed one of the largest Series A fundraises in South Africa with nearly 1500 investors backing us in the biggest crowdfunding round in history for an Africa-linked startup.
We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, 2U, and Zando. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Senior Software Engineer you will be responsible for initiating, building and maintaining all aspects of our bespoke software platforms, including but not limited to:
- Our student portal
- Our mentor portals
- Our placements portal
- Our website and payment gateways
- Our sign up flows
- Our data analysis platforms
Our tech stack consists primarily of Python, Django, AWS (EC2, RDS, S3, Lambda, SQS, SNS, CloudWatch, Route53), Postgres, and a little bit of Ubuntu.
To excel in this role, you should be a creative problem solver, possess advanced technical skills, and display keen attention to detail and high standards in code quality.
- Write quality code for our website and platforms using Python and Django.
- Collaborate with other members of the team to execute engineering projects, plan sprint cycles, undertake technical troubleshooting, and reduce technical debt.
- Coach and mentor junior developers on the team.
- Work closely with Product to help in planning, designing and creating an implementation roadmap of platform features which will be used by tens of thousands of people around the world.
- Communicate with technical people through clean code and documentation, and with non-technical people by translating their requirements into implementable milestones and smaller goals.
- Minimum 4 years of experience as a software developer.
- Experience with a core programming language, preferably Python, and with web frameworks, preferably Django.
- Experience working with PostgreSQL and AWS.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and adapt in line with or ahead of external changes.
- Prior tech startup experience in a high-growth and ambitious environment.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide 19 annual leave days plus two discretionary half-days as part of our leave policy, as well as medical benefits and life cover for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, and Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.
We're a people-forward company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.