HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2017 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. In 2020-21, we closed one of the largest Series A fundraises in South Africa with nearly 1500 investors backing us in the biggest crowdfunding round in history for an Africa-linked startup.
We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, 2U, and Zando. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the lead software engineer you will be responsible for leading our engineering team and, initiating and executing on all aspects of our bespoke software platforms, including but not limited to:
- Our student portal
- Our mentor portals
- Our placements portal
- Our website and payment gateways
- Our sign up flows
- Our data analysis platforms
Our tech stack consists primarily of Python, Django, AWS (EC2, RDS, S3, Lambda, SQS, SNS, CloudWatch, Route53), Postgres, and a little bit of Ubuntu.
To excel in this role, you should be a creative problem solver, have advanced technical skills, high standards and the ability to communicate effectively with multiple stakeholders.
- Lead the engineering team in initiating and executing all aspects of our software platforms
- Lead the technical implementation of projects while effectively delegating and collaborating with other members of the engineering team
- Coach and mentor developer teams
- Plan sprint cycles and timelines within any framework that works for you and the specific team you’re working with
- Communicate with technical people through clear and readable code and documentation as well as communicate with non-technical people and translate their requirements into implementable milestones and smaller goals
- 5+ years of experience in software development as a developer
- Experience with Python, Django, Postgres and AWS
- Experience leading a cross functional team of engineers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and able to adapt in line with or ahead of external changes
- 1+ years of managing or supervising a developer team
- Prior tech startup experience in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, & Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.
We're a people-first company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.