HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap, and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2017 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. In 2020, we closed one of the largest Series A fundraises in South Africa with nearly 1500 investors backing us in the biggest crowdfunding round in history for an Africa-linked startup.
We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, 2U, and Zando. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Intermediate/Senior Lead Learning Designer at HyperionDev, you will play an integral part in the creation and quality assurance of all content-related tasks in the Learning Design team. Your work will directly benefit thousands of our students, as well as our Academic and Marketing teams. In addition to improving and expanding our existing content, you will also write content for all new courses, Bootcamps, and any technical assessments that we need to carry out. You will further suggest and implement changes to our bootcamps, as industry needs are constantly changing, and what is expected from our graduates changes accordingly. You will also be part of the drive to ensure the alignment of our content for accreditation purposes.
You will need to stay closely up-to-date with industry trends and the job market needs to ensure that we can stay one step ahead. As a member of the Learning Design team within Education, you will work closely with our Academic staff, the Product team, and the Marketing team to ensure the smooth and efficient delivery of high-quality and engaging learning content to students.
To excel in this role, you should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, be a fast learner, and have an eye for detail. You will need to have people skills and the capacity to mentor Junior Learning Designers and Content Writers as the team scales. You should also be able to collaborate effectively with others and have a genuine interest in the EdTech space.
- Create (including writing and designing) new learning content.
- Implement changes to existing courses (and related dependencies) flagged in review and feedback forms.
- Improve the quality of Bootcamps by ensuring that the information in all tasks is accurate, relevant, understandable, and error-free.
- Identify and manage inter-task dependencies.
- Ensure content alignment to accreditation requirements.
- Review and overhaul existing courses when and where necessary, with a focus on structuring content to best support learning at the highest possible quality.
- Design the flow of new courses and create or collaborate with SMEs to create all the new material needed (including tutorials, compulsory tasks, example code, and any other additional resources).
- Ensure that the academic integrity of the content is maintained at all times.
- Research new and updated concepts regularly to ensure that the content of the Bootcamps stay up-to-date.
- 3+ years of experience in Learning Design
- Experience in writing and editing technical work e.g. software development, web development, etc. (at an Intermediate level or higher)
- Proven ability to review, analyse, and identify areas of weakness and strength in content while determining trends in content engagement and use.
- Proactive fast learner with meticulous attention to detail and a positive, problem-solving attitude.
- An interest in gaining experience and advancing the future of coding education, assessments, and tooling in the EdTech space.
- Self-starter who can drive projects forward with minimal supervision
- Experience in working collaboratively with and managing subject matter experts
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- 5+ years of experience in Learning Design.
- Background or experience in education, supporting an understanding of how people learn (pedagogical or andragogical knowledge).
- Experience taking lead on the development of content specifically related to coding education, or software development, web, and data science content.
- Experience in the accreditation of course or skills program content with regulatory bodies (e.g. SAQA).
- Experience in content creation for coding education or any level of coding ability would be an advantage.
- Bachelor's degree or related qualification in Learning/Instructional Design.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, & Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.
We're a people-first company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.