HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2016 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google . We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, Amazon, 2U/GetSmarter, Yoco and PwC, and those who have previously built and gone on to sell large businesses. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Head of Product at Hyperiondev/CoGrammar, you will lead a team of product managers to efficiently scope, spec, test, deliver, and measure our products. You will work closely with various teams to drive product discovery and delivery, while optimising processes and lines of communication. You will report to the CTO and work closely next to the Head of Software Engineering.
You must be able to create roadmaps and bring products to life. You must have a thorough understanding of the business’ technology and must be able to communicate effectively with the engineering team to ensure successful delivery. You will liaise with the strategy and engineering teams and will translate the business’ requirements into technical requirements. You must understand the business strategy and engineering capacity to prioritise work effectively.
The rapid progress of technology also means that you will need to stay abreast of technological advances and may spend time on researching new trends and integrating these into our products. Balancing innovation and maintenance will be critical.
- Strategic planning and management of the entire product portfolio.
- Lead and coach a team of product managers and testers.
- Drive delivery of products and features.
- Work closely with the Head of Software Engineering and CTO to build world-class teams, and to optimise processes and communications across the company.
- Translate product strategy into detailed requirements for product development by technical teams.
- Be the voice of the customer for the product development team throughout the entire product development lifecycle.
- Define and maintain product roadmaps with inputs from all stakeholders.
- Ensure requirements are fully understood and that implementation plans match expectations.
- Assess and address risks of all forms.
- Define success criteria for testing and product acceptance.
- Identify blockers that will impact timeline, scope, cost or other project variables and escalate to the appropriate stakeholders.
- Work with Strategy and Growth teams to define and monitor metrics and KPIs, in order to measure product success and drive innovation.
- 6+ years of experience across technical and product roles with at least 2 years at management level.
- 3+ years of product management experience.
- A strong technical background with software engineering experience, knowing at least basic coding in a modern tech stack (eg Python/Java) and having at least 6 months coding experience through university studies or previous work.
- Ability to understand tech trends, see how they impact your roadmap, and how they drive innovation.
- Strong organisational skills, with a demonstrated ability to set priorities based on alignment with business goals and strategic direction, define timelines and deliver to commitments.
- Ability to understand technical challenges and make educated trade-offs with your team.
- Ability to work well with cross-functional teams across engineering, marketing, strategy, support, etc.
- A deep understanding of product metrics and KPIs to keep the product development process as data-driven as possible, while still enabling innovation and creative design thinking.
- A desire to join and participate in the world of tech startups.
- Experience with scrum and agile methodologies.
- Experience working and coordinating effectively in a remote-first environment.
- University degree.
- Startup experience.
- EdTech background, with developer education preferred
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, & Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.