HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2016 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google . We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, Amazon, 2U/GetSmarter, Yoco and PwC, and those who have previously built and gone on to sell large businesses. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
HyperionDev is seeking a data-driven, customer-focused Chief Marketing Officer to lead its user acquisition efforts for specific sub-products. The person in this role will ensure that every HyperionDev student and client is properly identified and thoughtfully engaged into the customer lifecycle.
The Chief Marketing Officer will be responsible for effective positioning of HyperionDev and its sub-products (CoGrammar, Careers) in the minds of target consumers. He/she must ensure our products and brands are differentiated in the market and relevant to the target audience, and manage all consumer facing communications. He/she will make sure the reputation of our company and brand is clearly communicated and upheld in our marketing efforts, and that our brand guidelines are adhered to.
We are looking for an individual with a passion for leveraging data insights into campaigns, communications, and programs that will add substantial value to the HyperionDev customer experience.
The role requires a passion for results, a commitment to action-oriented analysis, an attitude that anything is possible, and a relentless focus on the customer. The right candidate will also thrive in a highly entrepreneurial, fast-changing, and collaborative environment where people are driven, enthusiastic, collaborative and not afraid to take risks.
- Gain in-depth understanding of the consumer attitudes and behaviours of the customers of our various products
- Develop customer personas and build out customer analytics
- Build further and manage a growing marketing team who are driving online and offline customer acquisition
- Design, manage and implement a digital subscriber acquisition marketing strategy to ensure that objectives are met to maximum efficiency
- Deliver omni-channel, acquisition driving initiatives and campaigns across various channels
- Be very tactical and run all operational and project management components of user acquisition
- Own, drive, and report on key metrics related to acquisition, channel performance and channel growth
- Develop recommendations to reach new students through desktop and mobile campaigns, including creative and messaging strategy
- Manage creative, ad, and landing page testing schedule to drive improved campaign results
- Work with sales, development and product teams to ensure user experience is as frictionless as possible, and make recommendations to improve conversion rates at each step of the user flow
- Innovate meaningful acquisition tests and funnel improvements
- Manage large budgets, analyse and develop campaigns, supervise all acquisition media buying
- Effectively manage deliverables, report campaign performance, communicate expectations with team and stakeholders
- Collaborate with internal teams to align product offerings with customer priorities
- 10+ years experience in managing a marketing team that scaled a B2B or B2C brand to a category leader in their market
- 5+ years experience developing and optimizing large-scale B2C or B2B campaigns - with multi-million rand annual ad spend budgets - through digital marketing channels
- 5+ years leading a marketing department of at least 8 full-time team members
- Experience managing large cross-functional projects
- Experience with Google Analytics or other web analytics tools
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills including a strong understanding of online marketing metrics
- Action-oriented with a “roll up your sleeves approach”
- Strong strategy and analytics skills, with an advanced understanding of success metrics
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills, plus ability to clearly articulate and express complex and sometimes technical ideas to a wide variety of people and groups at any level
- Enthusiastic, passionate, and creative; thrives on thinking outside of the box.
- Prior experience leading a marketing function at Executive Level
- 2+ years experience with scaling below the line and above the line advertising budgets to over R20 Million a year
- Deep experience in successfully scaling below the line and above the line marketing for high growth B2B products
- 2+ years experience leading the marketing of a product to a category leader in the education market
- Expertise in e-commerce operations and digital business strategy
- Prior experience in creative direction or design
Equity: As a senior leadership role within the company, you may be eligible for direct ownership in the business through our stock option scheme. The company has been approached for acquisition by a number of billion dollar leaders in the tech education space, is backed by investors from the US, UK and South Africa, and we want you to directly share in the success of the business.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, and Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.