CoGrammar, which powers HyperionDev, is an EdTech startup that is dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap. We achieve this by integrating human code review into the world's leading businesses.
HyperionDev/CoGrammar also have their own EdTech product (HyperionDev Coding Bootcamps) helping learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. HyperionDev is the largest tech education provider in Southern Africa.
We are recognised as one of the top EdTech startups in Europe, Middle East, and Africa, being selected as one of the top ten startups in the UK by Tech Nation, and winning 2nd place in the London TechCrunch Pitchoff. In 2016 we won financial backing from Facebook, as the first prize winner in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa. We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge by Computer Science graduates and our senior leadership comprises world-leading talent out of places such as Google, Amazon, 2U, Yoco, Groupon, and PwC.
We're a people-first company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Freelance Code Reviewer at HyperionDev / CoGrammar, you should ideally be experienced in carrying out technical, high-quality code reviews and would possess strong programming skills in one or more of the following:
- Databases (SQL)
- UI / UX
- HTML / CSS
- C / C++
- iOS development (Swift)
- Pandas / Matpotlib / similar skill
- Statistics and R
- Machine learning
- Excel / VBA
In this role you would be a member of our freelance code reviewer network. This is a network of technical experts who can review code in a variety of contexts, both education and business. Reviews can range from a quick 10-min feedback session on a basic piece of code, to a 1-hour technical interview with tech job applicants.
To fit this role, you must be driven by a hunger for excellence. You must possess an uncompromising and critical attitude when it comes to code quality, and have a passion for people development. You should be technically capable and confident to advise on code reviews, offering a supportive and educational experience to the individual/s you are assessing. You should strive to improve the code’s quality, structure, readability, and efficiency in a systematic manner.
Are you excited by the enormous impact this work can and will have in assessing and improving the quality of code around the world? Then this role is for you!
As a Code Reviewer, you not only fill one of the most key roles in our organisation, you define what we do.
In this role, you will be responsible for completing, and will own the quality of, the technical code reviews we provide to our international partners (some of the biggest brands in technology, recruitment, and education headquartered in the US, UK and Europe).
A growth mindset is essential because at any point in time, you could be invited to work on an advanced-level curriculum or a new technology stack in order to meet the requirements of our partners. Therefore, continuous training, further learning and specialisation will be an integral part of this role.
- A degree, diploma or certificate in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, or another relevant field. (Skills acquired through informal learning are welcome too)
- 1+ years of programming or teaching experience in one or more of the stacks/technologies mentioned in the section 'About the Role'.
- 1+ years of peer or professional mentorship experience, in any capacity.
- A keen interest in working with code from the perspective of assessing and improving code quality.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Fast learner and enthusiastic to train in new stacks/technologies.
- A problem-solving and positive attitude.
- Start-up mentality and the desire to see the team succeed.
- An interest in the future of code education and online learning.
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills.
- 2+ years of professional programming or teaching experience.
- Active involvement in local and international tech communities.