HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in South Africa, and one of the largest globally. As a rapidly scaling EdTech startup with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In February 2020, we won in Tech Nation's Rising Stars 2020 awards. In 2016 we were awarded the first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, gaining financial backing from both Facebook and Google. We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, Amazon, 2U/GetSmarter, Yoco and PwC, and those who have previously built and gone on to sell large businesses. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our Programming Lecturers have a niche skill-set that is at the intersection of technical coding skills and teaching / mentorship abilities.
To excel in this role, you must be excited at the prospect of helping the world write better code.You must be passionate not just about coding or technology, but also about introducing new learners to the power and potential of programming. You must feel strongly about improving the quality of coding education, and be highly motivated to see your students succeed, knowing that your work is creating real impact on the lives of your students. (As per our 2018 graduate report, 95% of our graduates are able to reach their career outcomes in the tech sector within 5 months of graduating.)
Apart from teaching students code at our physical campus (full-time or part-time), you will also get a chance to work with leading coding education providers from around the world to provide expert code review to international students and tech teams. This includes feedback on code quality, structure, efficiency, and conformity to conventions - a much deeper level of review than simply marking the submitted code as 'right' or 'wrong'. Our coding educators progress along a structured growth pathway and receive continuous professional development opportunities to help them specialise in particular software development tracks over time. They also receive opportunities to work with elite partners from around the world on the newest technology stacks, ensuring that they can learn from and work alongside the best in global tech.
In this role, you will be delivering face-to-face coding education at our physical campus in Cape Town. You will support our learners by guiding them on their course content and coding projects, holding group lectures, helping solve student queries, and giving quality feedback on students code on a daily basis. You will be part of a team building the most affordable on-site code-learning experience to remove existing barriers to accessing coding education, and teaching these skills to people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.In this role, a typical day would include some or all of the following:
- Delivering the HyperionDev course content in the form of lectures and tutorial sessions
- Developing lecture content, mini-lessons, presentations on a weekly basis as per a structured learning path and in response to student needs
- Reviewing code solutions submitted by students and providing them comprehensive feedback in line with our specialist code review process
- Overseeing the progress, performance, and journey of your students on a monthly basis all the way to graduation (within 3 months or 6 months of enrolment, depending on the cohort)
- Providing high quality guidance and support to students via face-to-face sessions as well as through chat, emails, online tutorial sessions, and 1:1 calls
- Identifying and implementing new strategies for improving student completion, retention and graduation rates
- Reviewing and updating course content and teaching methods
- Assisting the Education Lead in new strategies for improving the pedagogical processes of our coding bootcamps to improve student completion rates and retention
- Holding a degree or diploma in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Science Education, or a related field
- 1+ years of teaching or tutoring experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A problem-solving and positive attitude
- Functions well independently
- Fast learner, meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to craft, collate and maintain student data for informing pedagogical processes
- Start-up mentality and the desire to see the team succeed
- An interest in education, particularly coding and tech education.
- 1+ years of teaching web development or a core programming language such as Java or Python
- Experience designing and developing interactive learning experiences
- Active involvement in local and international tech communities
- Professional experience in Android, Data Science, or Web Development
- Knowledge of Ruby, DevOps, MERN / MEAN stack.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, & Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.