Who We Are
HomeLight is a venture-backed technology startup revolutionizing the $1 trillion real estate industry. Our mission is simple – we empower people to achieve better outcomes during one of life’s most important events: buying or selling their home.
HomeLight’s technology analyzes millions of home transactions to determine which agent or cash buyer is right for you. We also offer innovative financing and closing solutions, creating an end-to-end real estate experience that's simple, certain, and satisfying.
We pride ourselves on our company culture – but don’t just take it from us. We’ve been recognized as a best place to work by Forbes, Inc. Magazine, and the San Francisco Business Times. Our team breaks barriers every day while staying committed to HomeLight's goals and core values, which is a crucial element to our shared success.
Who You Are
You are a very experienced software engineer who has worked in a variety of companies and seen up close and personal many different software systems. You have a deep understanding of core web application development fundamentals and keep tabs on the industry as it matures. You have the ability and desire to lead and mentor a quickly growing team with a wide variety of experience. You consider yourself a Full Stack engineer, but have a deep understanding of the Back End side of the equation. You have many years of experience with Ruby on Rails or other dynamically typed languages and their ecosystems. Finally, you thrive cross functionally and can excel in an environment where you interact with stakeholders across the company frequently.
What You’ll Do Here
As the Principal Engineer at HomeLight you will work closely with Engineering Leadership to understand and define our overall system architecture and engineering roadmap. You will also work closely with other engineers to help them design and execute large projects across the org as well as
- Mentor other engineers
- Review technical proposals
- Review pull requests
- Own our core software systems (Elastic Search, API, Kafka, etc)
- Improve our system monitoring, alerting, incident response
- Help shift the way we work to support a growing distributed team
- 12+ years of experience developing software
- Engineering leadership experience as a Technical Co-founder, Principal Engineer, VP/Director of Engineering, or Senior Staff Engineer
- A “get things done” mentality
- Experience growing and integrating software systems as companies scale
- Strong experience building APIs
- Experience working with Event Driven architectures
- Deep experience with Ruby on Rails (preferred) or other dynamically typed languages/frameworks
- Experience growing and mentoring software teams