Who We Are
HomeLight is a venture-backed technology startup revolutionizing the $1 trillion real estate industry. Our mission is simple – we empower people to make smarter decisions during one of life’s most important moments: buying or selling their home.
HomeLight’s technology analyzes millions of home transactions to determine which agent or cash buyer is right for you. We also offer innovative financing and closing solutions, creating an end-to-end real estate experience that's simple, certain, and satisfying.
We pride ourselves on our company culture – but don’t just take it from us. We’ve been recognized as a best place to work by Forbes, Inc. Magazine, and the San Francisco Business Times. Our team breaks barriers every day while staying committed to HomeLight's goals and core values, which is a crucial element to our shared success.
Who You Are
You are an experienced Mortgage Underwriter who cares deeply about improving your own quality of life at work, and believe technology can make mortgage underwriting more satisfying and fulfilling. You thrive on continuous improvement, rely heavily on feedback and have a developed keen listening sense. You believe that most problems should be solved using technology or smarter processes, and not just accepted and left to linger. You are a prolific and effective team member.
What You’ll Do Here
HomeLight Home Loans is looking for a Mortgage Loan Underwriter who can perform the underwriting function and govern a pipeline as HomeLight Home Loans scales from originating a handful of loans to $100 Million per month of Jumbo QM within a year.
- Handle the underwriting of Jumbo and Super Jumbo loans for HomeLight Home Loans Operations going from launch to 60/70 loans per month
- Assist in recruiting excellent team members who want to operate and supervise our automated software platform
- Be a core member of a team that is innovative and passionate about changing the mortgage world forever
- Execute the underwriting function by supplementing the system with interventions, clearing flags, and applying rules that the system has not yet been trained to apply
- Anticipate problems and focus on prevention
- Identify bottlenecks and software or process solutions that will prevent these from happening again
- Work closely with the Origination Operations manager and Mortgage Platform lead in specifying system requirements to get the system to perform recurring process steps or requirements to fix problems and improve efficiency
- Ensure mortgages produced by Home Loans have no unresolved underwriting or collateral errors
- 2+ years of experience with underwriting with traditional and non-traditional mortgage lenders.
- Experience underwriting and/or signing authority for conforming, jumbo, and super jumbo loans up to 2MM at a non-bank mortgage lender or a federally chartered bank.
- Experience surfacing errors and mistakes before loan consummation.
- Exceptional communication skills; providing feedback and surfacing things that are wrong and rightfully focus on improvement.
- Must have experience in underwriting loans in California.