Highnote was founded in 2020 by former executives from Braintree, PayPal, Lending Club, and Visa with the goal of simplifying payments for emerging enterprises with an all-in-one card issuance and full-stack acquiring platform. In other words, Highnote connects merchants and businesses to the most advanced virtual payments platform - the industry’s first built-for-purpose unified solution for virtual card issuing - extensible through developer friendly open APIs capable of handling the most complex payment processing business flows. Our mission is to help merchants and businesses grow by accelerating their digital transformation with innovative virtual payments products.
Since launching the company in October 2020, Highnote has raised over $90m in funding from Oak HC/FT, Costanoa Ventures, and XYZ Ventures (among others) to help accelerate their time to market and growth. Also invested in Highnote is Bill Ready (current CEO at Pinterest, and former President of Commerce at Google along with former COO of Paypal, and CEO of Braintree and Venmo) and Renaud Laplanche (Co-Founder & CEO of Upgrade, and former Co-Founder & CEO of Lending Club.)
Highnote is headquartered in San Francisco and currently has remote team members in Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and New York City. The team is currently 100+ people and growing!
Highnote is seeking a Payments Operations Lead to join our team to perform and continuously improve the processes with our bank and card network partners. This role will work closely with the Payments Operation Manager and Head of Operations to navigate between product, engineering, sales, customer support, risk, compliance and finance in setting up and managing new banks and other payment partners. Additionally, this role will help manage all transaction and payments activity across our systems and bank accounts including reporting, reconciliation, disputes/charge and troubleshooting. The successful candidate will use their prior experience to help develop and document the processes, metrics, and reporting required to perform this function.
What you’ll be doing
- Subject matter expert for the network and issuing bank billing to ensure accuracy of billing in and out of Highnote
- Lead the reporting of monthly billing for subscribers
- Own QOC/QMR Reporting - pull, verify and submit data to issuers on a quarterly basis
- Billing report analyst
- Review partner billing for approvals as they come in
- Assist with daily ACH monitoring, approvals and holds
- Own and develop process improvement plans for our operation team
- Assist with daily, weekly and monthly reconciliation activities adhering to internal procedures, policies and customer/partner commitments
- Maintain reporting and processes for daily, weekly and monthly reconciliation between internal systems, banking/card network partners and the general ledger
- Help develop processes, reporting and KPIs for disputes, chargebacks and other payments issues
- Troubleshoot and conduct day to day research of payments activity, disputes/chargebacks and reconciliation issues
- Support operations/product/engineering and compliance in responding to customer and bank partner inquiries and fraud response
- Collaborate across internal stakeholders to make recommendations for system, process and product improvements
- Additional payment operations tasks as needed
What we are looking for
- 7+ years operations experience in a fast paced company, preferably fintech, with 5+ years of hands on experience in payment operations, payment processing or digital banking
- Deep knowledge of payments processing, technology, settlements and money flows in card issuing or card networks
- A solid support operations knowledge base in a fintech related field
- Experience with payments related tools, systems, and data
- Strong analytical skills that result in being an excellent problem solver with the ability to quickly get to the root of a problem, see patterns and formulate solutions
- Solid working knowledge of accounting concepts and terminology, particularly account reconciliations
- Detail oriented and tenacious to track and trace all payment transactions and outcomes
- Excellent Excel/Google Sheets skills a must
- Travel and in person training/work sessions as needed.
What it takes to be successful
- Strong communication skills to develop and perform processes and reporting and to communicate issues, solutions and recommendations
- Positive, enthusiastic, highly organized with an excellent work ethic and a desire to be “hands-on” while also creating a best in class function from the ground up.
- Ability to tackle problems and queues efficiently, while still maintaining a high-level of accuracy needed to service our customers.
- Maintain a strong and healthy sense of curiosity. You have a desire to understand the root-cause to any problem, evaluate explanations provided, and perform due diligence to validate your understanding. This spans across all aspects of your work.
- Ability to set/achieve goals and own deliverables with little supervision.