Founding Director of Operations (2021-22 Building Year, 2022-23 School Launch)
Hebrew Public issued a COVID Vaccine mandate for all staff. This will require all staff to receive the COVID Vaccination.
Start Date: Summer 2021
Location: Staten Island Hebrew Public (SIHP) 829 Father Capodanno Blvd
CMO Website: www.hebrewpublic.org
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Hebrew Public Charter Schools for Global Citizens
Hebrew Public is a national network of diverse-by-design public charter schools that teach children of all backgrounds to become productive global citizens. Our schools are models of racial and economic integration, academic excellence, and foreign language learning. Our schools maintain a focus on global citizenship which leads to our students becoming empathetic, ethical, intellectually curious young adults committed to solving the world’s problems. Hebrew Public schools are dual language schools that offer partial immersion programs in Modern Hebrew with an accompanying focus on the study of Israel.
Hebrew Public’s network currently contains thirteen schools (eight elementary and five middle schools) in four states and the District of Columbia, serving more than 3,100 students. In NYC, we serve as the Charter Management Organization for schools in Brooklyn, Harlem and Philadelphia. Hebrew Public is in the process of expanding to a new school in Staten Island which will open in 2022-2023.
ABOUT THE SCHOOL:
Opening Fall 2022 in Staten Island’s District 31, Staten Island Hebrew Public will be a free, public charter school open to all age-and grade-eligible students residing in New York City, with preference given to residents of Staten Island. The school will be located on Staten's Island Midland Beach. During the inaugural year, SIHP will serve students in Kindergarten and 1st grade. Our goal is to add an additional grade level each year and by 2027, Staten Island Hebrew Public will serve over 500 students in Kindergarten through 5th grade.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
This is an exciting time to join Staten Island Hebrew Public Charter School (SIHP) as the Founding Director of Operations! Join a remarkable community of educators and social changemakers who are passionate about meaningful integration and global education and are relentlessly committed to ensuring students from all backgrounds attain high levels of academic achievement. We select individuals who share our vision and are willing to put in the hard work to achieve it. We are seeking an operational mastermind to play a critical role in leading and supporting Staten Island Hebrew Public with operational excellence in pursuit of our bold vision. The Founding Director of Operations (DOO) will launch and lead staff and student learning at SIHP. This role offers a unique opportunity to take the 2021-22 school year to reflect, plan and develop a comprehensive strategy before launching the school in 2022-23. The Founding Director of Operations will be responsible for hiring an operations team, creating and establishing systems to support efficient and effective operation of the school, and ensuring systematic, proactive, and efficient management of school-based operational systems, events, and initiatives in support of school staff, students, and families.
The successful candidate will possess a track record of complex project management, people management, and systems thinking. Most importantly, the Founding Director of Operations needs to have an unwavering commitment to creating the conditions teachers and staff need to thrive. Reporting to the Head of School, and with dotted line reporting and support to and from the Network Operations team, the Director of Operations will be an integral member of the school’s Leadership Team. This school-based leader also has the unique opportunity to advise the Hebrew Public network on systems development, school startup plans, and operations coaching. The opportunity is ideal for a proven operational leader who is passionate about strengthening Hebrew Public’s commitment to smooth organizational and academic operations.
- As the school grows in size, manage the school operations team members (both full-time staff and contracted services), including professional development
- Design and implement daily systems and procedures to ensure seamless execution of all school operations, including, parent communication, student transportation, data reporting, attendance, school food, school safety plans and facilities management
- Serve as Lead role overseeing school-wide compliance with health and safety laws, charter contracts, state education mandates, teacher certification, and federal and state workplace regulations
- Create school-wide operation strategies and policies that will successfully serve the Staten Island Hebrew Public community
- Train school staff on daily procedures by ensuring operational systems are implemented with fidelity by all staff members and by giving feedback to stakeholders when systems are not meeting school needs
- Actively oversee and enforce policies and procedures within the school community, meeting high standards for school aesthetics and safety protocols
- Use an operational lens and expertise to develop long-term operational strategy and carry out the leadership team's school goals and vision
- Understand the importance of remaining diplomatic when leading both positive interactions, and those requiring conflict resolution
- Serve as Lead role in overseeing and ensuring accuracy of school SIS and communication systems
- Manage staff PTO (Paid Time Off) process and assist with scheduling coverage as needed
- Serve as the human resources liaison for school staff in the areas of hiring, personnel matters, benefits, leave tracking and the maintenance of local files; working closely with the network HR team
- Building Environment: serve as Lead role overseeing building aesthetics, repairs, and facilities management working closely with the HOS to create vision that aligns with school mission
- Support the vision and mission of Hebrew Public ; exhibit professional judgment and demonstrate behaviors that are professional, ethical and responsible
- Continuously improve school operations systems and procedures and lead or support with special projects
Student and Family Engagement
- Build and manage relationships with key stakeholders (families, staff, students, Charter School Office, vendors, organizational partners, and Hebrew Public network team)
- Develop internal processes and lead student recruitment efforts to ensure fiscal solvency of the school
- Serve as Lead role overseeing the student enrollment process including application, lottery, waitlist, transfer, withdrawal process, and monitoring of accurate ATS and SIS records
- Serve as Lead role in establishing and managing student attendance plan, working with school teams and families to increase student attendance
- Communicate regularly with families about their children's performance, school policies, trips, and events
- Build and foster relationships with community leaders and organizations, including maintaining a robust database of community organizations.
Finance, Procurement and Technology
- Support in stewardship of annual school budget and track expenditures in conjunction with the school’s HOS and the network Finance team and in accordance with the Financial Policies & Procedures
- Serve as Lead role in the school based procurement process, including working with the Hebrew Public team on vendor selection and contracts as needed
- Make purchasing decisions that align with the school’s mission for facility needs
- Manage asset tracking for on-site technology activities in alignment with school’s operational goals and budget and make purchasing recommendations to HOS
- Collaborate with the network Technology Team to ensure a fully functioning technology infrastructure
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- An authentic commitment to the Hebrew Public mission and values
- Attention to detail: Thinks critically about the details of a task at hand
- Flexibility: Ability to adjust expected tasks and schedule to the updated priorities
- Independence: Can work independently, be assertive, and make thoughtful decisions about projects
- Collaborative: Works with teammates and is responsive to feedback
- Willingness to go above and beyond the requirements of the job to be innovative and support the organization
- Ability to communicate effectively with the school community
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills and a proven record of creating and fostering excellent relationships through teamwork and empathy
- A strong work ethic and commitment to results
- A commitment to leading with a “people first” mindset
- A desire and commitment to making a difference in the world through their leadership
- Sense of humor and a desire to create joyful school environments
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of six years of related work experience
- Charter and/or Public School operations experience required
- Knowledge of dual-language methodology and bilingual education practices preferred
Staten Island Hebrew Public: Staten Island, NY
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY:
Hebrew Public is committed to building a diverse staff team that reflects the communities we serve. Candidates of color and those from backgrounds that are underrepresented in school leadership roles are particularly encouraged to apply.
Salary and benefits will be highly competitive and commensurate with experience.