About the Role
As the Manager of M&A and Commercial Strategy, you will work collaboratively with the Labs team to identify, evaluate and pursue exciting consumer, market and product investment opportunities. Our goal is to launch or acquire 2-3 highly disruptive CPG brands each year based on the investment ideas you will help identify and validate.
In your role, you will work across M&A and incubation ideas, overseeing and guiding all stages of brand assessment and/or development by shaping questions asked, work conducted, answers sought, and conclusions reached. You will be responsible for structuring and managing cross-functional projects alongside owning both the execution and implications of commercial and financial diligence including market sizing, competitive analysis and business plan development. You will work alongside experienced investors, entrepreneurs and executives to build and grow the next generation of leading CPG brands, powered by the experience and resources of Harry’s Inc.
Beyond the opportunity to work with great people, this role provides a unique opportunity to work from the ground up to build an investment business at Harry’s, Inc., including working closely with senior leadership to define investment philosophy, strategy and process.
What You Will Accomplish
- Identify and lead diligence of brand, market and product investment opportunities in the CPG space. Direct development of team point of view on key open questions and areas of diligence; structure and oversee execution of cross-functional opportunity assessment projects
- Drive commercial diligence on new investment opportunities, synthesizing large pools of data to develop a point of view on relevant trends and dynamics in high priority market segments and make data-driven investment recommendations
- Oversee Labs investment diligence and evaluation, including valuing acquisition opportunities, structuring transactions, and building robust financial models to assess potential investment returns
- Help build out and improve the Harry’s Labs investment process and parameters, working closely with senior team members to define investment strategy and to concurrently drive early stage diligence review while building key tools and processes
- Build and/or oversee development of new brand financial models and investment returns analysis, including inputs such as customer acquisition, CPA, LTVs, retention, pricing and costs. Validate key model assumptions via primary and secondary research, including smartly leveraging cross-functional expertise across Harry’s organization
- Develop presentations for Harry’s leadership team to review and assess investment opportunities
- Successfully work in parallel across multiple work streams
- Report to the VP of Harry’s Labs and work closely with other members of the Labs team
This Should Describe You
- 4-6 years experience in a highly analytical, project or deal oriented role (e.g., private equity, growth equity, venture capital, investment banking, management consulting)
- Experience working in a buy side (e.g., private equity, venture capital, family office), deal-driven role is required; experience working with high growth consumer businesses is a plus
- Excited by the opportunity to work in an expansive role that includes strategy definition, process development and oversight, and analytical execution. As excited to get in the weeds to develop new brands and deeply diligence acquisition opportunities as to build and oversee cross-functional project plans and to support M&A process and strategy development
- Thrive in a fast-paced, often changing, and highly collaborative environment. Able to see through the weeds, prioritize critical issues, develop work plans and effectively drive cross-functional execution
- Experience designing and building assumptions based investment models including business projections and investment returns. Understands and can build out three statement excel-based financial models and sensitize around key assumptions.
- Highly analytical: Able to collect and analyze large sets of data and synthesize into themes, insights, and “so what’s”. You can handle ambiguity and can extrapolate and synthesize your way to insightful recommendations even when data is far from perfect
- Extremely Reliable: Is someone who you can always count on to be 100% reliable. They always go above and beyond your expectations and deliver error free work in a timely fashion
- Strong interpersonal skills: Able to build highly effective cross-functional relationships that are lateral, up and down in levels. Would be comfortable presenting to a senior audience.
- Lifelong Learner: Loves to learn, asks insightful questions, interested in learning about new categories and new businesses
- Self-Starter: Is always the first person to offer help when something isn’t getting done or a teammate is struggling. No task is too small and their sleeves are rolled up at all times.
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the VP, Harry’s Labs
- You will work on the Harry’s Labs team, a small team that will drive Harry’s new brand investment strategy by identifying market opportunities and investing in leading next generation CPG brands
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.