About the Team
At Harry's UK we're small but incredibly ambitious, and we've got big plans for the future. We’re fortunate to have all the benefits of a start-up - think fast-paced dynamic work culture, lots of autonomy and hyper-growth - along with the resources and stability that comes with being part of an established global business. We live and breathe our values, and we strive to work collaboratively every day. Our London office is located in the heart of Covent Garden and yes, as a start-up we have unlimited coffee, snacks and as many free shaving products as you require!.
Harry’s vision is to build a next generation CPG company, identifying new categories where there are opportunities to better meet consumer needs. The technology required to enable our goals is more sophisticated than first meets the eye. We are building a cutting edge technology stack to support our multi-brand vision. If you are a driven Staff Software Engineer, come join us in our London office and help build the platform that will enable our new vision.
About the Role
We need someone who can step in and do some figurative heavy lifting on our application and step into a coach/mentor role for other engineers on the team. In this role, you’ll be ensuring that our technical capabilities keep pace with our business goals while keeping technical quality and engineering rigor front of mind. Systems and software you build will help us serve thoughtful and delightful customer experiences in a way our retail competitors cannot.
What you will accomplish:
- Be able to take responsibility for setting the direction and approach for front-end engineering within a squad.
- Work with all the engineers across the squads to ensure that our front-end code reflects our high standards of quality and practice.
- Assists others with their deliverables.
- Able to identify and correct defects in multiple technologies across the stack.
- Will be responsible for the technology of a specific project with responsibility for maintaining quality deliverables by all members on the team. Projects are well designed and meet operational goals.
- When working autonomously, use the opportunity to create exemplars, frameworks, or other auxiliary work products to enhance the ability of others to work autonomously or in collaborative teams.
- Work closely with Product and Design to ensure that user-facing features are executed in a way that accurately reflects the intention and eye for detail of those teams, while still applying our standards and rigor to that process.
- Build high-quality, high-value software, and be an advocate for front-end technologies across the engineering team.
This should describe you:
- You are a web application developer, who has thrived in a startup world before.
- Have 5-7 years of experience engineering front-end systems.
- Can demonstrate close working relationships with “back-end” engineers and understand how best to integrate a front-end toolchain into a modern web stack.
- Have a keen eye for design detail and have demonstrated they know how to build and maintain a healthy relationship with Product and Design teams.
- Hands-on experience with ES6 and Single Page Application Frameworks, React is a huge plus.
- Ideal candidate has experience working on NodeJS applications and TypeScript
- Someone who is excited about delivering high quality products.
- You are a learner - always seeking to improve yourself, your team, and the world around you.
- You thrive on direct, honest, and supportive communication
- You are pragmatic, and understand the trade offs in making technical and architectural decisions.
- You are always thinking about how to help the teammates around you excel
- To you, there’s nothing more exciting than a new challenge
- Sense of humor -- we take our work seriously and ourselves un-seriously
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the Software Engineering Manager on the London engineering team.
- Working with the new brands engineering team.
- Cross-functionally working with our infrastructure services backend engineers.
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.