Harry’s is a men’s grooming brand that was built out of respect for quality craftsmanship, simple design, modern convenience and for guys who know they shouldn’t have to overpay for a great shave. We are able to deliver exceptional value and experiences to our customers because we are vertically integrated. From grinding steel into fine razors blades at our factory in Germany to selling our products directly to customers on our website and select retailers, we own the entire process.
Since launching in early 2013, we have been blown away by the customer response to our brand. Today, we have over 3 million customers and are growing fast. We’re always looking to bring amazing people, like you, together to redefine the way people interact with brands online and in stores across the country. We have recently raised additional funding to help us develop brands beyond men’s grooming which will expand needs and possibilities for Data Engineering.
About the Team
Data plays an integral role at Harry’s, for example in messaging customers, optimizing acquisition channels, or forecasting demand. The infrastructure and applications that you'll build on the Data Engineering team will power decisions, become multipliers on our revenue and traffic, and help us work more efficiently.
We are responsible for loading upstream data into our data warehouse, for retrieving third-party data, and for maintaining our own infrastructure in the cloud.
About the Role
We’re looking for a senior data engineer to join Harry's data team. With physical retail stores, an e-commerce site, and a global supply chain, we centralize this large, diverse, and rich set of data sources to power our business. We’re an agile team, working with a large number of other business teams and developers to put the data to work.
You excel in collaborating with other engineers and cross functional partners to use and model data to suit the needs of the business. You are a SQL expert and can code review SQL written by analysts to raise the bar for efficiency and programming best practices. You will be responsible for implementing scalable ETL processes and data pipelines to support a variety of business needs, refining the design of our data warehouse and understanding the impact that this can have across the company.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with business users, data analysts, and data scientists to design performant data models
- Work with vendors and other developers to ingest new sources of data
- Fine tune our Redshift data warehouse for use by BI tools, marketing platforms, and machine learning models
- Design and implement tools for ongoing data quality monitoring and alerting as we scale our infrastructure to support additional brands, systems and geographies.
- Generally contribute to improving the health and value of the “data ecosystem” at Harry’s
Who you are:
- You have 3 to 5 years of experience as an Software Engineer or Data Engineer
- You have strong coding skills in at least one scripting language (e.g Bash, Python)
- Excellent SQL skills: comfortable with complex queries involving many derived tables, window functions, etc.
- Have experience with distributed column-oriented data warehouses and have a sense of how optimize for these environments (Redshift experience is a plus!)
- Passionate about codebase maintainability and domain-driven design
- Familiar with the concept of infrastructure-as-code and IaaS
- Experience performance tuning and optimizing data pipelines, query plans
What we use:
- AWS (Redshift, EMR, RDS, S3, Data Pipeline)
- Devops skills: Ansible, Docker
- Big data/NoSQL (e.g. Spark, Hadoop, DynamoDB, other key-value or document DBs)
- Working with BI tools, as user or backend (e.g Tableau, Looker)
- Networking, load balancing
- Agile experience
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.