JOB TITLE: Senior Lighting Artist
LOCATION: Brighton, UK
REPORTS TO: Lead Lighting Artist
What We Need:
Hangar 13, the studio that brought you Mafia Definitive Edition, is looking for a Senior Lighting Artist for a new IP. The job of the Lighting Artist is to create breath-taking lighting that supports the story and gameplay using our own high-end real-time engine. We would welcome a talented and reliable colleague who will contribute with his/her artistic and technical knowledge, motivation, and skills to create our games. In collaboration with the artists and engineers, s/he provides the project with the final, breath-taking mood and look in the best possible quality.
What You Will Do:
- Create high quality AAA lighting of cohesive, vibrant, and immersive worlds to support story, art direction and gameplay objectives and to influence and inspire emotions and encourage players to engage in what will be a memorable gameplay experience.
- Translate the concepts and art style into outstanding real-time gameplay lighting.
- Work with the Art Team and Render Engineers to seek technical challenges and push our engine further to achieve fantastic real-time playable optimized performance.
- Be active as a lighting mentor for the team; help review and prioritize work; set up pipelines and develop the best practices of workflow; ensure that all the goals are fully completed.
Who We Think Will Be a Good Fit:
- Proven previous experience as a Mid/Senior Lighting Artist for at least one shipped 1st person/3rd person game
- Highly experienced, enthusiastic and hardworking lighting artist showcased in a portfolio demonstrating a considerable range of experience with lighting of environments, weather setup, characters and cinematics
- Strong artistic sense, extensive understanding direct/indirect light, luminance / exposure and color-theory, composition and materials
- Deep understanding of lighting theory and techniques, PBR & HDR lighting and knowledge of photography principals
- Dedicated to giving towards a friendly team environment
- Proactive, self-educated, motivated to contribute with innovative and original ideas, willing to take on challenges, ability to take feedback to transform it into improving the visuals
- Excellent collaboration and organizational skills, advanced written and spoken English
- Experience with 3D graphics programs and game engines (Unreal, Unity, Maya/3ds Max, Blender etc.)
Nice to Have:
- Experience with Scripting and/or Visual scripting
- Experience with some tracking/scheduling tool (Shotgun, Jira, Trello, Hansoft, etc.)
- Experience with photography/camera/scenography (film, games, VFX, etc.)
- Ability to quickly learn and to use specific in-house tools
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is an internal 2K development studio based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic), working collaboratively as one team.
Each of our locations provides the opportunity to Bravely Create on big-budget, AAA console titles in a diverse and inclusive environment.
At Hangar 13, we want people driven by curiosity — Visionaries who aren’t afraid to explore new territory. Intrepid individuals who embrace the weird, the challenging, the unconventional.
We’re continuing to build a space that empowers you to take risks and redefine what’s possible,
Where your inquisitive nature is nourished —
A home for people who aren’t satisfied with what is, but who are obsessed by what could be.
So bring your talent,
Your unique point-of-view, Your fearless tenacity,
And together, we’ll Bravely Create.
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months.
Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station.