Gusto is looking for a strong contributor to design systems, who thrives on making major business impact to join our Design Systems Team.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. As a design team, we craft simple, delightful product experiences that make this a reality. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, New York, and Remote serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
About the Role
As a Senior Product Designer on the Design Systems Team, your work will drive Gusto forward as the people platform for small businesses by empowering designers and engineers to build high-quality user experiences. We help teams focus on solving real user needs, ship products faster, avoid re-inventing solutions, ensure accessibility, and improve performance across platforms.
If you are a strong contributor to design systems who thrives on making major business impact at a high-growth company, we would love to hear from you!
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Define and standardize reusable design patterns and components in Figma
- Serve as primary owner of our Figma UI Kit including component design and maintenance
- Partner with design, engineering, brand, and research to establish, build, and maintain a comprehensive library of shared components
- Provide enablement support to a team of 40+ product designers that use the system
- Set up knowledge-sharing processes that promote collaboration, pairing, and training
- Develop and maintain clear documentation of Gusto product philosophy and principles as it relates to patterns and components
- Utilize research methods to assess the efficacy of the system and understand customer needs
- Track the effectiveness and adoption of the Design System as a tool across teams and disciplines
- Advocate for accessibility standards and inclusive design principles
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 6+ years experience in product design, including experience building and evolving an effective design system used by many people (please link a personal website or portfolio)
- Experience building design systems in Figma
- Exceptional interaction and visual design skills, with expert command of visual hierarchy, layout, typography, color theory, and brand systems
- Familiarity of platform conventions for responsive Web as well as iOS and Android
- Genuine empathy for small business owners and employees and use of research to inform design solutions
- A drive for technical, scalable, and user-centric models of building things
- Impeccable attention to detail
- A strong emphasis on collaboration and feedback as a driver of success in their product design process
- An excellent communicator and influencer who can work well with various groups and levels of the organization
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, with an entrepreneurial ownership mentality
- Humble spirit.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $150,000- $200,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $170,000- $230,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home with us.
Our company is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Our company considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.