Guerrilla, the Amsterdam-based PlayStation studio behind Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West, is looking for an experienced designer to help create the next generation of machines for the world of Horizon.
In this role, you will join a small, but profoundly impactful, team within Guerrilla that ‘owns’ machines from idea/concept to final deliverable. To be considered a candidate for this position, we expect you to excel in equal measure in technical integration skills, in creating detailed and cohesive design documentation and in wild creativity.
What you will do
As a Principal Machine Gameplay Designer at Guerrilla, we will look to you to help us:
- Create new machines from initial concept to final in-game asset
- Design visual concepts and other reference materials
- Oversee the production of various components with various teams (modeling, animation, VFX, AI, etc.)
- Integrate and assemble the components into the final machines
- Balance gameplay at various stages of production
- Design, develop and update various combat systems in the game, such as damage types and hit reactions
- Analyze player and developer feedback and integrate creative solutions
- Work within a team – mentor and train other designers, while also receiving critical feedback of your own work
- Collaborate with World and Quest designers to fully realize the machines' place in the game.
Who you are
To be considered for this role, we expect you to have:
- At least 10 years of experience in game or combat design, with at least 2 shipped AAA games
- A body of work that showcases your ability to convert creative ideas into unforgettable enemies, addictive mechanics and explosive set-pieces for projects similar in scale to ours
- Experience writing design documents that are used across numerous disciplines
- Exemplary detail orientation – you dot your i’s and cross your t's without fail
- A high level of technical understanding and experience - you should be comfortable with complex systems and setups in programs such as Unreal or Unity. Experience setting up game entities and characters is a big plus, but complex level scripting is also sufficient.
- Level design experience, and particularly combat encounter design experience, is a plus
If you think you’re up for the challenge, you can apply by hitting the “apply now” button. Be sure to submit your CV, a cover/motivation letter and a link to/PDF of your portfolio.
Please note: This position is based in our studio in the heart of Amsterdam. Guerrilla offers relocation and immigration support.