About the Team:
Group Black is a next-gen media collective and accelerator focused on the advancement of Black-owned media properties. Group Black will do more than simply traffic media dollars to current Black-owned media businesses. We will expand Black ownership of media, and support and encourage young Black entrepreneurs to develop the media properties of the future.
At Group Black, our legal team members are essential partners to our business. They are well-versed in how the Group Black business operates with the ability to develop legal strategy and objectives. You will work on a diverse range of legal issues and projects related to Group Black’s core business offerings. While making an immediate impact on the business goals and objectives.
Are you passionate about the face of media investment and ownership? Group Black is looking for a talented and experienced in-house Counsel role to join our growing team. A member of the executive leadership team, this critical position will report to our Chief Operating Officer and President. In this newly created role, you will be a founding member of the Group Black Legal leadership team and will have the opportunity to build a best-in-class legal function.
We are looking for highly motivated counsel that can balance the fast pace of our start-up environment with the expertise required to manage large media company deliverables. The successful candidate may have demonstrated success working across a wide range of legal matters, including legal oversight for all corporate reporting and obligations, business affairs, and corporate governance experience (including management of board and committee).
- Oversee the legal matters of the business, including acting as the business’ legal representative
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to management
- Draft, review, and negotiate contractual agreements, including partner contracts, vendor contracts, service agreements, and supplier agreements
- Respond promptly to legal requests for internal and external parties related to Group Black’s business practices
- Negotiate above-the-line talent (writers, producers, directors, and performers) and rights deals necessary for the development and production
- Help manage day-to-day business and legal affairs issues for development, production, co-financing, tax incentive deals, and distribution deals
- Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors
- Participate in the development and implementation of company policies, procedures, and initiatives
- Advise on or manage a team in supporting strategic growth projects, including M&A or other transactions affecting the business
- Coordinate the efforts of outside attorneys on a case-by-case basis, as required
You will be asked to immediately help broker and negotiate deals/partnerships working alongside our Business Development team. You will be part of structuring partnerships between Group Black, vendors, and potential partner companies.
What you bring to the team:
- You have 8+ years of General Counsel/VP Legal experience or a similar role
- BS degree in Law or J.D. degree and membership in at least one US state bar (Ideally New York, Florida, or California)
- MA or BS in Business Administration is a plus
- Experience as a business and/or legal affairs executive handling film, scripted television, documentary, and/or podcast projects; experience with co-financing deals and structures
- Media or Tech industry experience preferred
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, litigations, labor law, etc)
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations
- Effective communicator, with the ability to interact with internal and external partners at all levels
- Excellent legal skills, including significant experience in structuring, drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a wide variety of transactional agreements
- Strong judgment and analytical skills
- Leadership and management skills focused on team development and growth
- A high degree of professional ethics, integrity, and gravitas
- Major Law firm experience preferred (media, tech)
- Interest and understanding of media production, creative and emerging technologies
- Content and Deal experience
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”
Group Black is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law. Group Black is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know.