What’s so interesting about this role?
As an Analytics Engineer at Grindr, you will build the data foundation to support analytics, reporting and experimentation. You should have experience developing telemetry and data models with expertise in SQL, Python, and a semantic modeling system like LookML or DBT. We’re in the process of modernizing our Data Platform with the goal of making data a strategic asset to all aspects of Grindr’s business. You will partner with Data Engineering to drive the next phase of redesigning pipelines and data models working directly with business owners. Goals broadly include near-real-time product analytics, automated data quality alerts, a common event taxonomy, AB testing and collaboration with Data Scientists to help analyze ML models.
The Data Engineering and Analytics Engineering team has visibility and exposure to a broad set of crucial business functions at Grindr. The Data Platform team supports analytics engineering for all of Grindr by collaborating with product, engineering, and embedded analytics teams.
The Data Platform is composed of 3 general groups: Data and Analytics Engineering, Data Applications, and Data Science / ML Ops. Data and Analytics Engineering coordinate internally across these teams. External to the Data Platform we coordinate in multi-quarter planning with 4 key business squads: Core, Revenue, Trust and Safety, and Web. For short-term support, we manage a Data Desk tracking 15+ internal customers with an SLA for triaging all types of data questions. We are hiring multiple Analytics Engineers to help support engineering data models to support these squads.
Finally, Grindr’s unique mission-driven culture is supported by a deep investment in career development, diversity and inclusion, and empathy and care. These behavioural character traits are a must-have priority for success in this role.
What’s the job?
- Collaborate with team members to collect business requirements, define successful analytics outcomes, and design data models.
- Design, develop, and extend dbt code to extend the Enterprise Dimensional Model.
- Create and maintain architecture and systems documentation.
- Operate the Data Desk within an SLA for triaging data questions to ensure critical questions get fast attention.
- Approve data model changes and act as code owner for specific database and data model schemas.
- Provide data modeling expertise through code reviews, pairing, and training to help deliver optimal, DRY, and scalable database designs and queries.
What we'll love about you
- Experience designing and developing with Semantic Modeling Layer Code, in LookML or DBT.
- Strong data warehousing fundamentals and knowledge.
- Expert in advanced analytics (used Tableau, Looker, or Power BI in an expert capacity).
- Previous business intelligence experience working with customers around data-centric processes and analysis.
- Experience with complex business change management and process implementations.
- Strong Ability to improve the speed of code queries and debugging.
We’ll really swoon if you have
- Some experience in Data Engineering using Snowflake or Python.
- Some experience in Machine Learning.
- Expertise in relational databases with solid CS fundamentals in SQL / business data storage/retrieval.
- Significant understanding of dimensional data modeling for a Data Lake / Warehouse.
- Knowledge of ETL and ELT (managing high-quality reliable ETL pipelines).
What you'll love about us
Global impact. Grindr is the world-leading LGTBQ social networking service. Your role will impact the lives of millions of LGTBQ people around the world.
High Growth. Like the company itself, this role offers significant room for growth and development.
Remote First: We have offices in LA, NYC, SF, and Chicago, though the company is set up not just as remote-friendly, but remote-first. More than 30% of our employees work outside the cities where we have offices. Today, we are set up to hire easily in the US and Canada. If you live outside one of these countries, just let us know so we can discuss how we can support you.
Comp: Industry-competitive compensation, including equity for all employees.
Benefits: Unlimited vacation policy.
Family insurance: We provide competitive insurance coverage for health, dental and vision for you and your family.
Retirement Savings: Generous 401(k) plan with company match.
Other Perks: Stipends for home office, wellness, food, and cell phone and interest, as well as many company-sponsored events.
Since launching in 2009, Grindr has grown into the world’s largest social networking app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. We have millions of users who use our location-based technology in almost every country in every corner of the planet.
Today, Grindr proudly represents a modern LGBTQ lifestyle that expands into new platforms. From social issues to original content, we continue to blaze innovative paths with a meaningful impact on our community. At Grindr, we create a safe space where you can discover, navigate, and get zero feet away from the queer world around you.
As of June 2020, Grindr has new owners with a track record of multiple successful Bay Area start-ups. The new leadership is demonstrating a renewed commitment to creating an experience for users that is safe, fun, and productive, as well as a positive & uplifting company culture in which everyone can be their best selves. At the heart of Grindr’s mission in this new chapter is a shared set of core values including transparency, accountability, experimentation (failing fast), and strong allegiance to the LGBTQ community.
Grindr is an equal-opportunity employer.