What’s so interesting about this role?
Grindr is looking for a Content Moderation Operations Manager to drive the vision and execution for content moderation operations at scale, overseeing the team dedicated to investigating and resolving issues related to policy enforcement, fraud, safety, and other sensitive and complex scenarios.
Reporting directly to the VP of Customer Experience, you’ll manage the day-to-day operations of content moderation, building scalable policies and processes while promoting an inclusive and collaborative culture. You’ll also work cross-functionally across the organization, helping to contribute to a culture of safety by design.
This is a unique opportunity to work at a company with a focus on the global LGBTQ community, where Trust and Safety is seen as a strategic asset rather than a cost center. In this role you will have plenty of opportunities to significantly contribute to Grindr’s mission of being a safe and welcoming space for LGBTQ users around the world to find love and connection.
What’s the job?
- Responsible for oversight of vendor operations of a global team of content moderators. Forecast volume and headcount needs for content moderation, ensuring a balance between high-quality work, adherence with production/metrics expectations, and moderator health and wellbeing.
- Supervise moderator training and quality assurance, ensuring that policies and processes are being applied effectively, fairly, consistently, and are supported by strong reporting and analytics.
- Develop and operationalize principles and policies for Community Guidelines enforcement, and enhance workflows via process improvements and tooling recommendations.
- Deliver reports and recommendations on content moderation and enforcement strategy, including at the executive level.
- Collaborate and advise on rollout of new features that require content moderation, helping to contribute to a culture of safety by design.
- Mitigate high crisis incidents that pose a risk to the company brand or to our users, and be able to weigh risks and balances between safety and privacy. Make final decisions and act as escalation point where needed, including time-sensitive escalations from operations teams, internal stakeholders, and outside groups (Law Enforcement, Government, NGO).
What we'll love about you
- Deep empathy and understanding of the LGBTQ community and their unique needs and challenges. You feel comfortable making decisions in ambiguous situations, and are able to recognize bias and discrimination, power dynamics, reclaimed language, and other situations specific to the LGBTQ community.
- Extensive experience with user-generated content and user-to-user communications at a global platform, with a deep understanding of internet norms and Trust & Safety trends and best practices.
- Leadership and management experience in a remote environment, with vendors, BPOs, and/or content moderation teams and a proven track record of operationalizing policy and community guidelines at scale.
- Proven ability to develop sound research methodologies and collect, synthesize, analyze, and interpret data.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a range of people including front line content moderators, executives, customers, and engineers.
We’ll really swoon if you have
- Fluency in a language in addition to English, especially Spanish, Filipino, or Portuguese.
- A global perspective, with experience collaborating with multicultural teams across a range of time zones.
- Mission and Impact: Grindr is the world-leading LGTBQ social networking service. Your role will impact the lives of millions of LGTBQ people around the world
- Remote First: We have satellite offices in LA, NYC, San Francisco, and Chicago, and are remote first across the US and Canada. More than 30% of our employees work outside of cities where we have satellite offices
- Family Insurance: Insurance premium coverage for health, dental, and vision for you and partial coverage for your dependents
- Retirement Savings: Generous 401K plan with 6% match and immediate vest in the US
- Compensation: Industry-competitive compensation and equity
- Queer-Inclusive Benefits: Access to Included Health, monthly stipends for HRT, and up to 90% cost coverage for gender-affirming care
- Additional Benefits: Flexible vacation policy, monthly stipends for cell phone, internet, wellness, and food, one-time home-office setup stipend, and company-sponsored events
Since launching in 2009, Grindr has grown into the world’s largest social networking app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. We have millions of users who use our location-based technology in almost every country in every corner of the planet.
Today, Grindr proudly represents a modern LGBTQ lifestyle that expands into new platforms. From social issues to original content, we continue to blaze innovative paths with a meaningful impact for our community. At Grindr, we create a safe space where you can discover, navigate, and get zero feet away from the queer world around you.
As of June 2020, Grindr has new owners with a track record of multiple successful Bay Area start-ups. The new leadership is demonstrating a renewed commitment to creating an experience for users that is safe, fun, and productive, as well as a positive & uplifting company culture in which everyone can be their best selves. At the heart of Grindr’s mission in this new chapter is a shared set of core values including transparency, accountability, experimentation (failing fast), and strong allegiance to the LGBTQ community.
Grindr is an equal opportunity employer.