Since launching in 2009, Grindr has grown into the world’s largest social networking app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. We have millions of daily users who use our location-based technology in almost every country in every corner of the planet.
Today, Grindr proudly represents a modern LGBTQ+ lifestyle that expands into new platforms. From social issues to original content, we continue to blaze innovative paths with a meaningful impact for our community. At Grindr, we create a safe space where you can discover, navigate, and get zero feet away from the queer world around you.
As of June 2020, Grindr has new owners with a track record of multiple successful Bay Area start-ups. The new leadership is demonstrating a renewed commitment to creating an experience for users that is safe, fun, and productive, as well as a positive & uplifting company culture in which everyone can be their best selves. At the heart of Grindr’s mission in this new chapter is a shared set of core values including transparency, accountability, experimentation (failing fast), and strong allegiance to the LGBTQ+ community.
What’s so interesting about this role?
The person in this role will help Grindr the company do what Grindr the app has done -- make connecting easier and safer for the queer community. This role will lead the efforts to put the weight and reach of Grindr behind addressing issues that currently negatively impact the queer community around the world.
This role is particularly focused on supporting LGTBQ+ rights in emerging markets where the health and safety of the community is too often under attack.
What’s the Job?
- Coordinate with NGOs and global non-profits to advocate for the LGBTQ+ community and educate the Grindr team and our users on pressing issues in the queer community of health, safety, politics, human rights and equality.
- Identify and evaluate appropriate organizations (above) with whom Grindr will partner directly or indirectly for specific initiatives. This may include targeted grants from Grindr to support an organization’s mission.
- Gather and share user stories from around the globe to help inform the company’s product strategy, particularly in emerging markets.
- Provide leadership and help prioritize how the company can/should respond to these needs in the product and in our policies.
- Work closely with our data privacy, legal, support and product teams on initiatives that foster community safety, health, engagement, and expression.
- Represent the company on global LGBTQ+ rights committees and efforts.
- Maintain and nurture relationships around the globe to help fulfill this mission.
- Author/create articles/blogs/vlogs both for internal and external use to influence and educate the positive development of public policy
- Work closely with other G4E team members and company leadership to develop ongoing strategy
What We’ll Love About You
- Education: Bachelors in Public Policy, International Studies, Communications or similar focus
- Non-Profit: 10+ years of experience working in the non-profit/advocacy space
- Policy: 10+ years of experience working with NGOs and/or public policy organizations
- Advocate: 5+ years of experience advocating on behalf of the LGBTQ+ community
- Communicate: Excellent, demonstrated communication skills (written and verbal), including public speaking
- Connected: Strong relationships within leading LGTBQ+ media and non-profit organizations
- Global: 5+ years experience in international non-profit, advocacy or policy
We’ll Really Swoon If You Are/Have:
- Master’s degree in Public Policy, International Studies, or similar focus
- Experience in technology development, working with product and associated teams to inform and influence product development
- Strong understanding of how the internet and emerging technology is changing the world for people and communities
- In addition to English, fluency in one or more language frequently spoken in the emerging markets (E.g, Spanish, French)
What You'll Love About Us
- High-growth, purposeful company with a global platform where you can grow your career
- Remote-first culture - work from home (or wherever!) within the U.S.
- Competitive compensation, including equity
- Unlimited paid time off
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Generous 401(k) match
- In-home snacks, home office stipend, and other great perks