We are the global headquarters for the game of geocaching. Our apps and Geocaching.com website enable a community of more than 3 million active geocachers to join in a real-world treasure hunt.
Our mission (and yours should you choose to accept it) is to inspire and enable adventure, exploration, and community. Basically, everyone’s job here is to enable millions of people to have fun outside. How cool is that?
What we’re looking for in a Senior Android Developer
- A proven track record of successfully delivering multiple iterations of Android apps to the public with rave reviews
- A strong foundation of object-oriented programming skills and deep familiarity with computer science topics including data structures and algorithms
- Ability to keep up with rapidly changing platforms and awareness of the latest advances on the Android platform
- A keen sense of the risks, rewards and trade-offs when making technical decisions
- Mentorship and guidance to other developers
- Love of a self-organizing, agile software development team and enthusiasm for Scrum rituals
- Ability to Identify opportunities to improve the team’s processes and practices
- Understanding of the importance of communicating your ideas and building consensus within the team and the company
- Enjoyment of close collaboration, both within and outside the team
- Total ownership over the quality of their work and fluency in development practices that minimize bugs, such asUI testing and unit testing
- Sense for good UX practices and knowledge of Material design patterns
- Enjoys working with our UX team to create experiences that delight our customers
- Able to oversee a feature or deliverable to its high quality completion with little to no oversight
- 5+ years of experience as a hands-on developer, with 2+ years on the Android platform
- Proven expertise in Java and Kotlin, with a mastery of patterns and frameworks used on the Android platform including data persistence, coroutines, Fragments, Map APIs, Firebase, and Google Play Services
- Experience writing apps that support a wide variety of Android devices
- Experience writing clients for RESTful web services
- Experience in Agile environments using Scrum or Kanban methodologies
- Experience with refactoring and phasing out legacy dependencies, including refactoring Java to Kotlin
- Experience with some of the following: RxJava and dagger2
- Knowledge of test automation technologies for Android Development including JUnit and Espresso
- Bachelor’s degree (MIS or Computer Science emphasis) or equivalent experience as an Android Developer
- Bonus: Experience with payments and in-app billing, Ktor
- Leads by example and exemplifies our values (effectiveness, authenticity, passion) in actions and behaviors
- Superb communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Exhibits tact and proper judgment under pressure and in sensitive situations
- Desire to learn and a “quick study” with new concepts, systems, and technologies
- Self-starting, self-directed, and open to coaching/feedback
- Exceptional presentation skills for any audience
- Uses independent judgment to plan, organize, and prioritize workload
Geocaching HQ embraces a diverse and inclusive workplace. Authenticity is one of our company core values and we strive to celebrate our differences. We encourage everyone to apply.
Some of our current benefits & perks!
- Comprehensive benefits package: medical, dental, vision, FSA (health and dependent care), and life & disability insurance.
- 401k retirement plan: traditional and/or ROTH, plus employer match and immediate vesting.
- Healthy work/life balance: generous PTO and holidays, regular wellness & social events, unlimited access to our Employee Assistance Program, regular team lunches, and more.
- Free Geocaching Premium Membership to cache to your heart's content!
- Sabbatical every 7 years.
- Free lift tickets or reimbursement towards recreational activities.
- On-site gear closet so you can enjoy the great outdoors.
- ORCA cards and commuter benefits.
- Professional development budget tailored to your learning & growth -- not in the cookie-cutter "one size fits all" approach.
- Employer donation matching program.