Business Development Director
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
We are actively looking for a Business Development Director to lead customer acquisition and development activities as well as play a key role in the expansion and continued refinement of our overall go-to-market and sales strategy.
To be successful in this role, you must have experience in business strategy and development, targeted sales expertise, and thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and performance-minded environment. Freeform’s manufacturing-as-a-service business model means that a successful selling effort requires knowledge of various manufacturing methods, experience selling a novel technology or technical service, and the tenacity to navigate a complex manufacturing service sales process. You’ll work with a broad degree of autonomy and play a key role in Freeform’s success by leading the charge on customer development activities and partnering with our technical team to respond to specific customer needs.
- Broaden awareness of Freeform’s offerings and partner with customers to develop and execute on production applications
- Hit annual and quarterly targets by prospecting, qualifying, and generating new business
- Track metal additive manufacturing market/industry trends, budgets, and competitive environment and remain agile to quickly respond to rapidly changing market dynamics
- Evaluate Freeform technologies, services, capabilities, and goals for alignment with new market opportunities
- Build Freeform advocates (designers, engineers, fabricators, and senior leadership) at each account
- Work with engineering and operations teams to develop and gain buy in for technical solutions, cost and schedule estimates, and pricing recommendations for new business opportunities
- Gather customer requirements and collaborate in a team environment working side-by-side with the Freeform technical teams to iterate on and improve Freeform product offerings
- Provide input to executive team to help guide strategic company direction and product definition to ensure compelling product-market fit
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- 5+ years of professional experience in customer facing roles such as consulting, program management, business development, or similar
- 2+ years of technical business development or B2B sales experience in a hardware or engineering company/environment
- Knowledge of metal manufacturing processes and industries
- Energized by a complex and evangelist sales process advocating for change to a new technology
- Must be willing to travel (up to 25%)
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 7+ years of technical business development or B2B sales experience
- Proven ability to penetrate new markets in highly technical, solution-oriented environments
- Experienced in developing long-term relationships with senior executives and other key stakeholders within strategic customers
- Ability to complete projects with ownership of the end-to-end process with minimal oversight
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated technical aptitude for the products you’ve supported
- Strategic thinker with a strong business acumen
- Team player, positive attitude, growth mindset, integrity, accountability, adaptability, entrepreneurial, driven, results-oriented and ethical
- Educational background in engineering or technical discipline (highly preferred but not required)
- MBA (highly preferred but not required)
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- While we prefer for this role to be onsite in Hawthorne, we will consider remote + travel for the right person on a case by case basis.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As an early-stage startup, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $120,000-$160,000, plus annual bonus targets.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.