SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (LINUX PLATFORM)
Freeform is a stealth mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
In this role, you will be responsible for building and maintaining Linux platforms and driver suites that operate our advanced, autonomous metal 3D printing systems. Your work will tie our embedded control applications and high-speed data processing into a cohesive, integrated whole that spans multiple off-the-shelf and custom PCBs and server-class hardware. Ultimately, this platform will integrate the applications running entire autonomous metal 3D printing factories.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Architect a state-of-the-art embedded Linux platform for an advanced production-scale metal 3D printing systems.
- Develop and integrate Linux drivers that enable communication with custom FPGAs, peripherals, and high-speed data links.
- Lead and execute board bring up efforts.
- Support end-of-line PCB manufacturing with comprehensive functional tests.
- Generate and maintain documentation of designed software and integrated systems.
- 5+ years of experience in Linux platform/kernel development.
- Proficient in C, bash, and hardware test scripting (e.g. Python).
- Experience developing Linux-based device drivers, Board Support Packages, (BSP) and platform development (including bootloaders).
- Experience with board bring-up on new hardware.
- Experience with on-chip debugging tools and troubleshooting both software and hardware.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or related field.
- Experience working with FPGA-connected processors.
- Experience with PCIe driver development and troubleshooting.
- Experience with high-speed data acquisition and real time closed-loop-control systems.
- Excellent knowledge of OS coding techniques, IP protocols, interfaces, and hardware subsystems.
- Experience writing software for industrial automation systems, robotics, or related hardware.
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for birthing parent, 401K, and PTO.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid for lunches, and regular catered team building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin / ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.