Freeform is a stealth mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Virgin Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
As a Prototype Machinist, you will have a unique opportunity to build custom parts and assemblies for our state-of-the-art metal 3D printing systems. Our shop features a wide variety of machines and tools including conventional mills and lathes, CNC machines, bandsaws, grinders, riveting, drilling, and other various hardware development tools. You will be responsible for determining the best way to manufacture parts and for solving new hardware development challenges on the fly without detailed work instructions. If you enjoy hands-on work in a fast-paced R&D environment where no day is the same, then we would love to hear from you!
- Machine parts using manual mill and lathe machines (Bridgeport and Mori Seiki).
- Operate Haas CNC 3 axis machine.
- Operate bandsaws, grinders, drills, and power tools to fabricate hardware.
- Complete hardware development from both detailed drawings as well as high level R&D plans.
- Deburr and wash / clean parts coming from machine.
- Manually inspect parts using tools such as micrometers, thread gauges, and indicators.
- Take part in process improvement projects and increase shop functionality.
- 3+ years of experience in precision machining.
- Experience working in an protype, R&D, or custom job shop environment.
- Experience reading part drawings (GD&T) and CAD models.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- NTMA machinist certification.
- CNC programming experience.
- Skilled with manual machining, welding, cutting, fitting and / or bending of stainless steels, aluminums, and high-strength nickel alloys.
- Ability to utilize power tools, hand tools, cranes, forklifts, and other heavy equipment.
- Experience with precision measuring instruments.
- Ability to lift and / or move up to 50lbs unassisted.
- Ability to climb ladders and be on your feet for extended periods of time.
- Must be available and willing to work overtime when needed.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, large R&D and production areas, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for birthing parent, 401K, and PTO.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.