ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
Freeform is a stealth mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
In this position, you will play a critical role in the development of our advanced printing technology including machine functionality, part quality, automation projects, and complex print file preparation. You will own projects cradle to grave as a responsible engineer, taking customer designs from concept through printing, testing, and delivery. You will also contribute to the overall machine system architecture with a key focus on automation by developing a fundamental understanding of the printing factory and leveraging your technical insights to advance system capabilities.
- Understand printing system capabilities and roadmap, and work with internal engineering teams (mechanical, electrical, software) to implement solutions that further automate the printing process for high volume production.
- Drive all stages of print production development including file preparation, printing, post processing, and quality control.
- Analyze insitu data and post-print part quality to drive continuous improvement.
- Use first-principles thinking to understand problems, define test methods, evaluate solutions, iterate and provide technical recommendations to internal and external stakeholders.
- Document application requirements and objectives, statements of work, standard operating procedures, next-steps and action items to align all internal and external team members.
- Interface with external customers to communicate Freeform’s technical capabilities; work with customers on improving DfAM.
- Contribute to Freeform’s internal technology development with feedback from internal and external stakeholders via detailed design and systems level improvements.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or similar technical discipline.
- 2+ years of professional experience with laser powder bed fusion.
- Experience with print file preparation.
- Experience with Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM) and CAD software.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering or similar technical discipline.
- Process development experience for metal additive manufacturing.
- Scripting experience in Matlab (or similar) for toolpath generation.
- Experience working with internal and/or external customers.
- Mechanical systems design experience.
- Detail oriented with excellent verbal, graphical, and technical communication skills.
- Demonstrated creative problem solving abilities and positive attitude.
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for birthing parent, 401K, and PTO.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid for lunches, and regular catered team building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity. Employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.