SENIOR MACHINE LEARNING ENGINEER
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you'll need extensive experience in advanced pattern recognition, predictive modeling techniques, and deep learning algorithms, and should have experience with machine learning as it relates to the physical world. You will play a key role in designing, developing, and integrating critical data science infrastructure and developing custom machine learning algorithms from scratch. Ultimately your solutions with enable us to scale the first production scale, high quality, and fully automated metal 3D printing factory architecture. As a crucial member of the engineering team you will be responsible for driving the pace of innovation, maximizing development speed, and maintaining a standard of excellence within the entire engineering team.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Design and develop data models used for model predictive control in an advanced production-scale metal 3D printing system.
- Integrate data models and physics-based models into a unified simulation framework.
- Develop a deep learning framework for modeling the complex physics associated with laser melting printing technology.
- Develop unsupervised learning algorithms to correlate data with printed part quality.
- Develop methods to correlate process data with geometric features.
- Work closely with simulation engineers to create data models to be used to predict the thermo-mechanical response of printed parts.
- Develop learning modules for machine health monitoring.
- Work with software engineers to deploy data science algorithms in production software.
- Guide software engineers to develop the big data infrastructure required to collect and process large amounts of production printing data.
- Develop data models used for the end-to-end automation of an advanced metal 3D printing platform.
- 5+ years of professional experience in machine learning and / or data science, OR a PhD in machine learning, data science, or similar technical discipline.
- Proficient with Python, C / C++ or similar object oriented language.
- Proficient in advanced pattern recognition, predictive modeling and deep learning techniques.
- Experience with machine learning or data science as it relates to the physical world.
- Able to provide legal proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States, which applies to U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens alike. [Freeform does not currently sponsor H1-B visa petitions.]
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master's or PhD in computer science, applied mathematics, statistics or related discipline highly preferred.
- Proficient in data mining and statistical analysis.
- Experience with both supervised and unsupervised learning techniques.
- Experience with image processing.
- Proficient with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB or Cassandra.
- Experience using query languages such as SQL or Hive.
- Experience with Computational Geometry.
- Knowledge of MATLAB.
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, paid vacation and holidays.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for lunches and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.