ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (AUTOMATION)
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Apple, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
We are looking for a highly motivated Electrical Engineer to help build our advanced metal 3D printing machines. As a crucial member of the engineering team, you will contribute significantly to electrical system design, development, and integration efforts across the company, with a specific focus on automation design. You will use a first-principles approach to solving problems and tackling new areas within electrical engineering that you may not have directly worked on before. The ideal candidate is capable of running projects from cradle to grave and has the ability work effectively with other engineering disciplines.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Create and maintain system plumbing and instrumentation diagram.
- Design a system to accommodate all sensors, actuators, and data systems.
- Define and implement automated system behavior.
- Design and build PCBs necessary to achieve lights-out automation.
- Lead the build and sustainment effort of automated system elements.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or similar engineering discipline.
- 2+ years of professional post-graduate experience working on industrial automation solutions.
- Experience designing, developing, and testing analog and digital circuits (e.g. generating electrical schematics, analyzing circuits, breadboarding prototypes, etc.)
- Expert in EE fundamentals and comfortable taking a first-principles approach to solving problems.
- Well-versed in mechanical and software concepts in order to integrate complex multi-disciplinary systems.
- Able to provide legal proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States, which applies to U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens alike. [Freeform does not currently sponsor H1-B visa petitions.]
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master's or PhD in electrical engineering.
- 5+ years of professional experience in electrical engineering.
- Familiarity with industrial automation technologies and robotics.
- Experience with sensors, embedded microcontroller design and firmware, and FPGA hardware and software development.
- Experience with high-speed data acquisition systems, high-accuracy motion systems, high-speed scanning systems, optomechanical assemblies, and complex electromechanical systems.
- Passion for additive manufacturing and curiosity in electronics for high-reliability applications.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, paid vacation, and holidays.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.