ELECTRICAL R&D TECHNICIAN (PCB FABRICATION)
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Virgin Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
As an Electrical R&D Technician, you will work closely with the engineering team to assemble, test, and develop electrical hardware for our advanced metal 3D printing systems, which includes complex PCBA, harnesses, high voltage systems, etc. You will be the “master of the lab”, meaning you will have the opportunity to build, maintain, and operate a state-of-the-art electronics prototyping and production lab. You will ensure that all relevant areas are outfitted with the required tools and equipment, remain clean and organized, and are being used safely. The right candidate for this role will be team-oriented and have a positive attitude with a “no job too big or small” mentality.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative individuals who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Build surface mount technology PCBs by hand and with equipment
- Test and validate completed assemblies without supervision
- Assist engineers with circuit board reworks
- Working with technicians of other trades, build and deploy electo-mechanical assemblies
- Manage lab consumables, ensuring stocking of critical materials
- Read and interpret schematics, follow work instructions, and suggest improvements to assembly/fabrication processes
- Perform planned maintenance and unplanned repairs on equipment including soldering stations, reflow ovens, pick and place machines, optical inspection machines, and other general lab equipment
- 2+ years of professional PCBA assembly experience
- Experience with precision soldering, hand rework down to 0402 components
- Experience interpreting schematics and/or blueprints
- Proficiency with lab equipment (DMM, power supply, etc.)
- Able to provide legal proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States, which applies to U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens alike. [Freeform does not currently sponsor H1-B visa petitions.]
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience building cables and harnesses
- Experience with oscilloscopes, logic analyzers. Able to interpret basic waveforms for testing
- Experience operating pick and place machines
- Formal hardware-centric technical training/certification/education
- Good mechanical aptitude, able to complete basic mechanical modifications such as drilling, cutting, and fastening components
- Ability to utilize power tools, hand tools, cranes, forklifts, and other heavy equipment
- Licensed for high voltage electrical work
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50lbs unassisted
- Ability to climb ladders and be on your feet for extended periods of time
- Must be available and willing to work overtime when needed
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, large R&D and production areas, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, paid vacation, and holidays.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.