Head of Mechanical Engineering
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
We are actively looking for incredible people to help build our advanced metal 3D printing technology. As the Head of Mechanical Engineering, you will play a critical role in leading our veteran mechanical engineering team as well as helping to bring clarity and smart decision-making to the overall engineering organization. The ideal candidate will have extensive technical breadth in mechanical engineering concepts as well as specific expertise in architecting, designing, and developing complex mechanical systems and/or state-of-the-art industrial automation systems. All leadership roles at Freeform are technical in nature so in addition to being a leader you will also be expected to spend a significant portion of your time working alongside the team as an individual technical contributor.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to a highly experienced mechanical engineering team with the goal of driving continuous improvement into the R&D process and maximizing pace of development
- Serve as the primary technical architect for all mechanical elements in the system as well as lead design, analysis, and/or simulation efforts as an individual contributor where appropriate
- Lead system level integration and validation of design efforts (testing and troubleshooting)
- Lead coordination of activities related to fabrication of hardware, system operation, assembly, testing, and development or repair of mechanical or electromechanical products and systems
- Provide technical project management from conception to production when required by the size/scope of the project
- Facilitate effective communication and collaboration with the broader engineering team by working side-by-side with the Software, Electrical, and Process engineering teams
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) from an accredited university in mechanical engineering or a related field
- 10+ years of experience architecting, designing, developing, and integrating complex mechanical systems
- Experience with CAD (NX, Solidworks, Inventor, Creo) as well as working knowledge of GD&T
- Demonstrated ability to successfully conceptualize, architect and integrate automated systems from the ground up. This includes the ability to:
- Determine functional mechanical requirements for hardware, software, and power/communication systems
- Perform trade studies on hardware selection, system design, and software architectures
- Conduct PFMEAs to inform the proper safety architecture
- Successfully lead development and implementation of the system, from start to finish
- Successful track record of leading complex multidisciplinary projects and teams
- Able to provide legal proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States, which applies to U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens alike. [Freeform does not currently sponsor H1-B visa petitions.]
- Advanced degree (MS, PhD) in mechanical engineering, mechatronics, robotics, or other relevant engineering field
- 15+ years industry experience
- Expertise in metal additive manufacturing processes and related electrical/software development requirements
- Experience leading a highly experienced mechanical engineering team
- Experience with industrial hardware products like Kuka and Beckhoff
- Experience with non-destructive evaluation and dimensional inspection methods for additively made hardware
- Fundamental understanding of metallurgy and welding principles
- Demonstrated ability to determine root cause and implement corrective actions
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 20,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, paid vacation, and holidays.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for/catered lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.