Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Role
Foursquare software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at a massive scale.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer obsessed with customer success, passionate about simplification and design-thinking and excited to dive deep into the growth opportunity of delivering new product categories to new customer types in an emerging technology space.
This leader will dive deep with industry leaders to solve problems and unblock industries, enabling them to capitalize on new digital business models.
We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing; the list goes on and is growing every day.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Help build a team and cultivate innovation by driving cross-collaboration and execution of projects across multiple teams.
- Lead designs of major software components, systems, and features.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve the software.
- Manage individual projects priorities, deadlines, and deliverables with your technical expertise.
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques, and coding standards.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of relevant work experience in software development.
- Experience architecting and developing distributed systems design.
- Hands-on technical leadership experience leading project teams and setting technical direction.
- Demonstrated expertise working with one or more of the following: Infrastructure, Machine Learning, Mobile Application Development, Embedded Systems, Front End Development Security and Privacy.
- Experience architecting and developing solutions to ambiguous problems with significant impact.
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages.
Perks and benefits:
- Learning and development programs from ICs to managers
- Individual, professional coaching for all full-time employees
- Flexible time off - rest and recharge when you need it!
- Comprehensive and competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Home office setup: you get all necessary hardware and internet reimbursement
- Family planning programs via Carrot and Maven
- Employee Resource Groups to help you stay connected
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.